Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is okay to put here but since I am sure I am not the only one in Canada in the swap I thought I would post some great tips that have helped myself & fellow Canadians in the many many swaps that I have been in!!

Tips for shipping to Canada:

Please send parcel via USPS only as we have to pay brokerage charges with anyother carrier. You can send any form of USPS!

Please put "Chihuahua Group Christmas Gift Swap" on the custom paper & package . Also "no cash value to the receiver/gift" as this is a gift! You can also write "Made in the US" or "Handmade or Handcrafted" if that is the case.

If you send any other method UPS etc.. We have to pay brokerage fees that start fairly high. Also on top of this, there may be customs fees if labeled incorrectly with anyway that you send! These start at anything over $20 Canadian. There are no brokerage fees with USPS.

Usually by writing the gift swap stuff & no cash value/gift this helps things more faster and saves us a lot of money!!

You may still insure for whatever you need it to be!

I hope this helps anyone shipping to here. This is the info I always pass out for the last 10 years when I hosted a swap or have been in one!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I sent a package USPS to Canada recently and they MADE me put the value, even though I told them (and checked the box) that said GIFT. Maybe that was just my post office? It would have been nice to not have to put a value on a gift for the world to see!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Tracey you can just put 5.00 or something silly..lol
I want to add you can ship UPS no problem just make sure it says the item is a gift and declare the value below 20.00.

I get things via UPS all the time and it's safer because it's very trackable and they are reliable and fast! I've never paid a brokerage fee ever! However USPS priority?? they get me every single time and the package gets hung up at customs and delayed for a week or two! They open the packages and then I have to pay a 20.00 fee and the taxes on the item.

I've bought and sold many items from the USA and those have been my experiences over the years. Regular USPS is safer and less complicated but it's not trackable to Canada as far as I recall, and it takes an average of 2 weeks from east coast and if the parcel is coming from the west coast to east coast you are looking 3 weeks average.

Mail sucks!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Geez... No kidding!! I'm putting everything on my box that was mentioned lol!! Hopefully there will be room hee hee!!! I would hate for my ss to pay a fee!

I sent a package USPS to Canada recently and they MADE me put the value, even though I told them (and checked the box) that said GIFT. Maybe that was just my post office? It would have been nice to not have to put a value on a gift for the world to see!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Ohhh good!!! Then I'm shipping UPS. thanks for the info. Oh...btw, is a box ok to ship or does that hold up any extra time as well?

Tracey you can just put 5.00 or something silly..lol
I want to add you can ship UPS no problem just make sure it says the item is a gift and declare the value below 20.00.

I get things via UPS all the time and it's safer because it's very trackable and they are reliable and fast! I've never paid a brokerage fee ever! However USPS priority?? they get me every single time and the package gets hung up at customs and delayed for a week or two! They open the packages and then I have to pay a 20.00 fee and the taxes on the item.

I've bought and sold many items from the USA and those have been my experiences over the years.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Boxes are fine, and UPS is a good way to ship.
I don't know what value of exchange you did this year but I did the 50.00 category so I am definitely shipping via UPS to the states so I can track it all the way there :lol:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Oh good, yep mine is $50 as well, but I will do as u mentioned and declare under $20. Thanks soo much for all of the info:)

Boxes are fine, and UPS is a good way to ship.
I don't know what value of exchange you did this year but I did the 50.00 category so I am definitely shipping via UPS to the states so I can track it all the way there :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts