Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new pup sleeps all day, and sometimes when she sleeps she starts this shaking type episode. It really freaked me out so i went to wake her up and she slightly opened her eyes and they were rolled into the back of her head so i could only see the whites and she didnt stop shaking right away. I know doggies dream too but this freaked me out! My other dog who lives with my mom has puppy dreams and she cries in her sleep. But i have never seen this before! Does anyone elses chi's do this? I'm scared... i took her to the vet and she was perfectly healthy. are these just dreams?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Without actually seeing what she is doing I cannot say. Your best bet if you are worried would be to have a vet check her out. That way you can tell them exactly what is happening and they can check her over and see if it is seizures.
I have seen puppies shake in their sleep...my chi Tequila does this and it will wake me up at night. Again I dont know if this is the same thing as what your chi is doing.
With this type of situation I find it best to have a vet tell you for sure if its something to worry about or not.
Good luck!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I HAVE HEARD THA CHIS HAVE SIEZURES AND I HEARD HONEY IS SUPPOSED TO HELP BUT I DOUBT IT . THE LADY AT OUR LOCAL FEED STORE TOLD ME ABOUT THE HONEY. I WOULD CALL YOUR VET.
NEVER CAN BE TO CAREFUL.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
porshas_momma said:
I HAVE HEARD THA CHIS HAVE SIEZURES AND I HEARD HONEY IS SUPPOSED TO HELP BUT I DOUBT IT . THE LADY AT OUR LOCAL FEED STORE TOLD ME ABOUT THE HONEY. I WOULD CALL YOUR VET.
NEVER CAN BE TO CAREFUL.
you mean hypoglycemia?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
If your dog is seizuring nothing but medicine and medical care will fix it.
A dog that has low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can benifit from NutraCal or Kyro surup, but if they are in a full blown hypoglycemic shock they need medical attention asap.
Still call your vet and have her checked...its better to be safe then sorry.
Best of luck!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Please stop with the caps already lol - you are screaming at us all :lol:

I would definately take your baby to the vets :wave:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
was she foaming out of her mouth ?

having a bit of seizure experience with viper and vienna :? i know it can be very freaky

with viper i know the seizures were because he had an infection of the brain ???he would shake really hard , foam and have his teeth locked together, he was totally out of it .

the main difference i noticed with seizures and hypo-attacks is that after a seizure the dog can appear normal afterwards and with a hypo-attack the dog is very very weak and slipping in and out of consiousness (sp?) ......

it's possible your chi was just dreaming ...after i fed vienna every 3 hours and she was out of the danger zone she would still freak me out , because of her dreaming.

i'm not an expert and don't claim to be right with this...but i just speak from what i've seen .... :wave:

·
Registered
140 Posts
No....its not seizures!!! My chi does this too!! While she's sleeping her eyes roll into her head and she shakes sometimes and makes these jumpy squeaky noises!! At first i was freaked out too but I asked my vet and she is perfectly fine! This is normal and even some humans do this while they are sleeping!!

I'm not an expert so if you're really worried and your chi has other health probs then ask your vet but from personal experience and for my baby this is absolutely normal !! Maybe they grow out of it? :?
Good Luck :D

Take Care
Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
It's impossible to say whether it's seizures or not. Lily twitches like crazy and her eyeballs even roll around when she sleeps and I don't worry about that. But there have been 3 other incidents when her whole body was shaking in a way I hadn't seen before. The first time it happened I freaked and rushed her to the emergency vet on a Saturday night. She was examined and they did bloodwork. Everything came back as normal. I was told to keep a diary of her "episodes" so they can see if a pattern develops. It's only happened 3 times so meds are not yet called for.

If it were me, I would see my vet and let them do blood work. :)

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Fynn had a seizure when she was young but just one, now sometimes when she sleeps she twitches and jumps also its a bit like when real babies have wind when they are asleep her eyes twitch too and roll.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hmmm...well first off, you seem new so welcome! Also my baby Ally used to twitch for like a minute in her sleep and her eyes would be rolled back too. That only happened three times but it totally freaked me out! I would see the vet about your chi, I did with Ally and he said it was just bad dreams(Thank heavens!) Well good luck!! :wave: :D

·
Registered
683 Posts
I would prob take my doggie to the vet if it was scaring me & i was worried! Maybe she is just sleeping but as some ppl are saying it is better to be safe than sorry!

Love Gilli & Coco

1 - 12 of 12 Posts