Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chi Tader will be turning 7 years old in a few months & I was wondering if I need to switch him to senior food or if the regular adult is still ok for him to eat.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
That's a good question!
I don't really know. How about checking some of the foods web sites and see what they say. Also, you could check with your vet and see what they usually recommend.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
with chis though they "mature" slower than most larger breeds...i wouldnt consider a chi a "senior" untill 9yrs old...(the average lifespan for these guys is 15-20 yrs...) id personally just keep an eye on her, the senior diets are lower in fat and protein and made to keep dogs with a now more sedate lifestyle in a healthy weight (lower fat and protein mean less calories need to be burnt, better for a senior dog whos less active...) so id personally base it on how active your dog is. if at 7 shes still running round like a puppy i woudnt worry about switching her to a senior diet yet, if however she seems to be lazing around more has slowed down and seems to be a little pudgier than she should be its about that time to switch her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts