Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

So far, Nugget is being very good about asking to go outside when he needs to potty, and he's become quite adept at using the potty pad and/or litter box when he can't get outside.

However, I've decided to give the ugodog system a try. It's supposed to arrive on Friday, so I'll have the long weekend to train him to use it.

I've posted this thread as kind of a mini-blog, to detail how well he takes to it. I'll update it regularly to let you all know how it's working out, and give my opinion on how well it works, whether it's worth the price, etc.

Feel free to post your experiences with the ugodog (or other indoor potty solutions) I'd be interested to know how it's worked out (or not) for your chi's.

Wish me luck!

Sensei

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Yay I LOVE the ugodog, thats what Rocky is trained on. He is also trained to go outside as well.
Let us know how you get on with it. Rocky sometimes lifts his leg to pee and I had to modify 3 sides of it with pieces of plastic. He doesnt use it as much as he used to but he does use it at least a couple times a day and I know its there if he needs to go when im out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops, I haven't been updating this thread!

OK, so the ugodog system arrived two Saturdays ago. No assembly of any kind needed, it' just the tray with the two grates on it. I place it where he usually goes potty, with a few pads around it just in case.

I placed him on it, and said, "Good boy, go potty" a few times. He jumped right off, wanting nothing to do with it.

Over the weekend, whenever he wanted to go outside, I would first take him to the ugodog, repeating "Go potty." No way, Dad!

Well, there could be worse things than the dog wanting to go outside to potty.

We do this the rest of the three day weekend, and it just doesn't take.

So I figure maybe he'll figure it out while I'm at work. (that's how he finally started using the litter box)

Yesterday, I removed the grates, thinking he was too used to just the pads. No luck. He had peed in the corner between the wall and the tray.

Today, I removed the litter pan, and put litter (the recycled newspaper kind) in the tray, since that's what he's used to. I'll see what has happened when I get home.

One step at a time! If it doesn't work after a while, I'll just chuck it, and let him continue with the litter box. :)

Sorry for the long post. I'll try to keep this updated.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
sounds like an adventure. How did you get him to use the litter without wanting to eat it/carry it everywhere? We have a whole bag of the stuff and madison just thinks it's food :) We're using the reusable pee pads now, so it's not bad, but still...waste of money if she won't use it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He figured it out when I left his poo in there for a day. He finds his waste as objectionable as I do. But there still winds up being a bit of litter outside the pan, from when he wipes his back feet.

That's how I know when he's done going potty. He takes a few steps away, and wipes his back feet on the grass a few times. It's just so dang gentlemanly!

As far as potty pads, how much are you paying? My local grocery store sells a box of 100 for $20.
[Edit: Never mind, I missed the part where you said 'reusable']

·
Registered
201 Posts
I bought the Ugodog potty system two months ago because I was sick and tired of Moochi tearing up the pee pee pads and also it was getting expensive ($40 for 100) and she usually go through them in a month. So ugodog was a lifesaver. Not only is it easy to clean but Moochi got it in 2 days. Sometimes she still miss the mark, usually when she poops but its in our bathroom so it is super easy to clean up. I clean it every 3-4 days. Not a bad investment either, cost me $50 and I can use it for the lifetime of Moochi.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I hope it works out for you!! When I changed Dani over from paper pads to cloth washable pads, she didn't want anything to do with them so I picked up a spray bottle of puppy scent and gave the pads a light spray. It worked, she has used the washables ever since. The product I used was called Housebreak Trainer and I picked it up at Walmart, perhaps this would encourage your pup to do the right thing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No luck so far. Every day, I place him on the ugodog, and he immediately jumps off, no matter how bad he needs to go. I've even tried putting potty pads on top of the ugodog so he'd get the idea.

I think he just wants nothing to do with it. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.