Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate recently got a Chihuahua from an acquaintance of his who could no longer keep her due to financial troubles.
I also have a dog, a German Shepherd, but this question isn't about him.
The woman he got Tosha from said that she was potty trained, but she keeps peeing and pooping in the house. At first I thought she was just stressed because she was in a new place, but she's been with us for over a week now, and she's still doing it.
The dogs have ample time to use the bathroom all day. When my roommate is at work, I watch her (because I'm on unemployment and looking for a job). I'm a smoker, and I don't smoke in the house, so I go to the backyard every hour to smoke, sometimes more and I take the dogs with me every time.
She will not go.
I take them for walks as soon as I get up in the morning, and she'll pee in the front yard (sometimes she'll poop, but not often). After the walk I'll let her sniff around in the front yard for 15 minutes hoping she'll go to the bathroom (she has better luck with the front yard than the back yard for some reason).
Sometimes she poops in the house for no reason that I can determine, but USUALLY it's when I have to go somewhere and nobody is home. I was gone for only 15 minutes and when I came back she chewed a hole in the window screen and pooped and peed all over the bedroom floor.
So, I recommended crate training to my friend/roommate because it worked REALLY well for my dog when he was a puppy because dogs naturally don't want to relieve themselves in their crate (We got the right size for her and everything. Enough to walk in and turn around). We don't force her into the crate, we give her treats and toys and then cover it with a blanket.
She pulls the blanket through the holes and chews it up and PEES and POOs everywhere.
That's why I think it's separation anxiety. She doesn't bark or cry though when we leave. She's just destructive and relieves herself. Every time.
My roommate got up to use the bathroom and left her in his room and wasn't gone 3 minutes and she did this again!
Please, somebody help me figure out how to help this poor dog. It's not hard to clean up, I just want her to be happy and not have to worry about us leaving. I want what's best for our pack. :/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just bought her some diapers. This is only meant to be a temporary thing until someone helps me figure this out.
Please, someone reply?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
It does sound like she is stressed and may have to be retrained all over again? Have you ruled out UTI's? I would make sure she is healthy first and then go from there. I wouldnt allow her free run of the house at all. Tether her to you so you can keep an eye on her when she is inside. Most will not soil their crates but if they have been allowed to do so in the past then some will. I wouldnt give her any bedding at all right now in her crate, do not let her have access to pull any in either. When you take her out to potty you need to act super excited when she does so and maybe even give her a treat. Always be excited and praise her when she goes outside and never scold her if she does so inside. Always keep her crated when you are unable to watch her. I hope this helps and others should chime in soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would a UTI cause her to poo in the house? She doesn't pee in the house as often as she poos. I'll see about having that checked out though.
I give her TONS of praise when she does go outside, and I say "Good potty! Good potty, Tosha!!"
I don't scold her when I find out she messed in the house. I just pick it up and act like nothing happened. I'm trying very hard to make sure that I do everything right so she'll realize that she needs to go outside. I don't want to punish her. The poor girl would have no idea why I was angry, and if she's just anxious I think that would make it worse. :/
I'll let my roommate know to take the bedding out of the crate.
Really, she doesn't go in the house that often UNLESS she's left alone (though it only takes a few minutes). It's weird though, I've never seen a dog defecate in their kennel before. :/
Thank you for replying and helping. I appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I used a playpen (dog or child) and put pee pads on one side, and her bed, dish of water, and a toy on the other side. Worked like a charm. When you leave do NOT make a big deal, just go. Sometimes something like a bully bone, or a stuffed Kong will keep them busy, and they won't know you're gone!! Leave the radio on softly also. Good luck. Sue Davis

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
A UTI probably will not cause her to deficate but pain could so I would still have her checked out. It may just take a lot of patience and working with her though as it sounds like she came from a home where she probably wasnt trained properly and may have issues from that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ooo how stressful. sounds a lot like shelly a few weeks ago. i think if you follow what yoshi's mom has said, thats pretty much what has worked for us. she will realize the purpose of the crate eventually, just might take some itme.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have one that poops in the house every now and then too. I think mine just has an attitude problem. He has every opportunity to go outside and do it... but for some reason he likes to poo on the second step heading to the basement. Drives me insane. I have two chi's and I know which one is doing it...however they both got a lecture this morning. The culprit just looked at me like.. whatcha gonna do?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think others have given some pretty good advice! I have also successfully used that "no" spray (I can't recall the name of it) that I spray where they soil where they shouldn't (after I cleaned everything up and used special odor remover). For awhile I had to use the No spray daily, and it did discourage all my Chis but my senior gal, and in her case I think she's just getting forgetful.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If she doesn't have a specific spot she goes in like my boys ( the bathroom so now i put pads down there)

She probably has better luck in the front yard because walking tends to stimulate and make dogs poo for whatever reason. ( less weight to carry on the walk? lmao) How big is your back yard? and i guess the second question is will she follow you? what i'm suggesting is maybe while your smoking start walking around the yard, calling her. if she goes be a fool and clap and praise and if you have a treat give it. make it a FANTASTIC experience to poop outside. Your in a good situation since you smoke outside every hour or so. Don't worry if she doesn't go, we don't always go every hour, but just make it a fun game.

A week is not a lot of time with dogs, especially when changing environments, people, everything. Give it a month or more honestly. Do the treat praise for pee's where they are supposed to be, and You'll probably see an improvement over time.

Just take it like your training a puppy again, but it should go quicker LOL

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
You're going to have to start from scratch, as though she were a puppy with no training, because that's the way she's acting. Read up on crate training a puppy, there are plenty of resources on the net with a wealth of information.

You don't say how old she is? I'm assuming adult and if that's the case, It sounds like she might be free-fed. If she is, I'd definitely change that, which will reduce the number of times she poops. If she's nibbling all day, she'll be a pooping machine lol! Mine eat morning and evening, and as a result I can accurately predict when they're going to go poop.

Really, I think it's important that you just throw out everything you've been told about this dog and her training, and start from the very beginning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts