Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this sounds silly but it's me having seperation anxiety more than Pixie. Yes she cries when i leave and I've been told by my roommates she will sit at the door for awhile after I'm gone....but I think I am the one having a harder time with this. I got her at 6 weeks old in June. I don't work as much in the summer so I pretty much spent all day everyday with her. Now tomorrow I have to go back to work and will be gone pretty much all day!! My roommates will get home a little earlier than me so she won't be alone all day but I am really having a difficult time with it. I keep getting teary eyed just thinking of leaving her!! I'm very upset and know I will cry in the morning when I have to leave her for the day. My roommate has a chi also so she won't be alone. She has the run of the house and can play with her toys, get food/water or play with the other pup all day. I'm just so sad thinking that she may get lonesome still. People keep telling me I'm overreacting because she is "just a dog" but I'm very attached to her and she isnt "just a dog" to me. Maybe I am overreacting! Today and tomorrow are just going to be kind of hard for me and I just needed some support. She will be okay right??? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Im with Jayne. Some of us just gotta work and have no choice but to leave them. In a perfect world we could take them to work with us or even better not have to work at all :) You and your chi will be just fine. It just takes a bit of getting use to but it will always feel kinda bad. Atleast it stil does for me

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I know how you feel, leaving your pup but here's something to consider...

When you leave the house, you might want to try to get her in a routine when you leave to ease the stress of you leaving. Maybe you could have one special treat or toy you give her before you walk out the door - one she only gets in those situations.

I try to avoid saying any of the things I usually say when I'm getting ready to leave ... things like ".... ooookay... where are the keys?" because Cooper jumps up and thinks he's going when he's not. I also say "OmaKitty's in charge while I'm gone" and he's come to understand that means he's staying.

Grab an old t-shirt or something and get your scent all over it to put in her bed so she can have that while you're gone. That will help her a lot when dealing with your absence.

Also, try to stay calm when you're leaving for work because, like a child being left at daycare, she feeds off your energy and can tell you're upset, therefore making her upset.

It's much easier to do on paper but it's worth a shot if it will save you and her all the stress. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I know how you feel I went back to work last week and I had a hard time. I come home at lunch every day because I hate the thought of him being alone all day. He has so many toys and bones but I still don't feel guilty. :(
Marcus knows when I am leaving no matter what I do to throw him off, he tries to hide under the bed or couch. It breaks my heart. :crybaby:

·
Registered
718 Posts
I feel exactly the same the way..it's so hard to leave them, even for an hour!! I take Diego everywhere with me and have only left him home alone a handful of times because luckily I can bring him to work with me. But because he's been barking so much lately I will probably have to leave him home a lot more. Dogs like a routine so he will eventuallly get used to being on his own while you are at work. You'll come home everyday and realize he's fine and feel more and more comfortable. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the support and making me realize I'm not the only one with this problem! You are all helping me feel better. I think the most important thing I need to remember to do is not let her know I am upset. I just have to act normal when I leave.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm a dog????

~Chihuahua~

It's true, my girls know when I'm leaving. The sad little faces they give me are just awful. I always tell them that they are my favorite girls in the world, that I'll miss them very much and then I tell them what time I will be home. That always makes me feel better. :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cooper's mommy gave the best advice ever! Take something like an old t-shirt and rub it under your chin and across your arms. Then, wrap her in it and give her a great, big hug before going to work. Things will work out for both of you and as soon as you get your pup into a routine, it won't be so hard on either of you. Take care and I'll be thinking of you two for the rest of the week. Good luck! :toothy4:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I absolutely detest it when people say "it's just a dog!" That really gets my dander up. :evil: Sorry - just a little rant there. :D

I know how you feel. I've been retired a while now, and had been home with Jazzy all day since I got her. Then last spring, my previous employer called and asked me to come back and fill in until they could hire someone else. The first couple of days I had to leave Jazzy were terrible. I worried about her constantly. But, after a few days I finally decided she was dealing with it much better than I was, and I needed to relax a little. I ended up working for over 3 months, and it turned out just fine. Jazzy did just great, and your baby will too.

If it will help ease your mind, maybe you should check into getting a webcam. I think a couple of people on the forum have them, and I understand they aren't all that expensive. Just a thought.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Jacquelyn Solomon said:
Cooper's mommy gave the best advice ever! Take something like an old t-shirt and rub it under your chin and across your arms. Then, wrap her in it and give her a great, big hug before going to work. Things will work out for both of you and as soon as you get your pup into a routine, it won't be so hard on either of you. Take care and I'll be thinking of you two for the rest of the week. Good luck! :toothy4:
Better yet, put the shirt in bed with you tonight so that your scent is ALL OVER it in the morning! :)

Coop's mom did give the best advice. When you leave in the morning just act normal. Try not to be all sad. Your baby will pick up on your mood and will take it as it's own. :(

If it makes you feel any better, I just got my new puppy this morning and I'm seriously considering sneaking him into the office with me tomorrow. :laughing6:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It's your baby you're worried. It's normal. I was the same way. I didn't have a job when I first got Chico and then when I did go back to work it was hard for me to leave him, it still is almost 4 years later.
Anyone who says it's just a dog is nuts. My Chi is my companion, friend and especially now that my husband and I may be splitting up I know that I will need that unconditional love from him.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I cry when I have to leave Teddy overnight for some reason. I hate doing it. Not only because I miss him but because I know he goes nuts when I'm gone after dark and not in the bed for him to snuggle next too. When I left for vacation this year I blamed it on allergies! :lol: So people wouldn't say awww he's just a dog!
I don't mind leaving him during the day so much because I know he enjoys the peace and quiet of everyone off and at school. But he sure does love it when I come home!
Just go with all the advice you've already gotten! It's all great! The look on your babies face when you come home will be more than enough pay for your hard day at work!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi there! Just curious as to how everything is going so far this week since you started back to work yesterday? Did you do the t-shirt thing?

Wishing you the best,
Maybelline, Misty and their Mama
(southern belle chihuahua's.......natural born princesses! lol)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jacquelyn Solomon said:
Hi there! Just curious as to how everything is going so far this week since you started back to work yesterday? Did you do the t-shirt thing?

Hi there! Thanks for asking. She has done okay (I on the other am not). I do not let her see that I'm upset leaving her but I really just want to cry. I did leave a tshirt out and a radio on for her but it is still really hard for me. Today I left at 8 am and didn't get home until 9:30....my roommates were home around 4 so she wasn't alone (and there is the other dog) that whole time but still I wasn't with her!! I just miss her so much. I'm thinking of taking her to a doggie daycare type place next week. I met with this woman who seems very nice so I have some references to contact but hopefully everything will work out! I would feel better if she were with a pet sitter all day. She also wants to play all night when I finally get home and I'm just exhausted by then. With the pet sitter I figure she will be playing and busy all day too!!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
jec582 said:
I'm thinking of taking her to a doggie daycare type place next week. I met with this woman who seems very nice so I have some references to contact but hopefully everything will work out! I would feel better if she were with a pet sitter all day. She also wants to play all night when I finally get home and I'm just exhausted by then. With the pet sitter I figure she will be playing and busy all day too!!
If you can afford doggie daycare - even part time - do it. It's the best thing that ever happened to Lily (other than being adopted by me :lol: ). I know she's safe, well cared for and happy all day long. And she gets plenty of exercise so she's pretty tired when we get home. I'm tired too so it works out well for both of us. :wave:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am a stay-at-home person, but I feel guilty whenever I leave Tucker to go anywhere, whether it's to run errands, visit a friend, etc. So I know that it will be heart-wrenching to go to work tomorrow, but you have been given some very good advice and I know that it will all work out okay. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts