Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo Harvey still barks his head off when he is left alone, he did improve for about a week, but he is now barking again to the point where the horrid neighbour is complaining, and my mum wants and has tryed to get rid of him :'(

I need advice on how to get him out of this, its hard because my parents and youngest sister dont want to adhere to rules because they dont want him here...I have thought about anxiety tablets to calm him to help train him, i have heard it helps.???

I'm to scared to get rid of him, just incase its to someone horrible.

Thanx

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
have you tried to tire him out with walks, play or exercise before leaving him? also leave him with toys and chewies when you go out. why does your parents and sister want to get rid of him?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tryed a crate that was horrendous he just number 1 and 2'd in it and made a right mess, even with his food there!!!

we do leave the radio on and i do give them a treat when i leave and the house is empty, not sure if it works as the neighbour doesn't complain to me, she complains to my mum when she sees her which isn't a lot.

they want him gone because of the neighbours complaining mostly, but they aren't really fond of him. But i've been trying to ignore him whenever i come home etc but my little sister and parents dont understand how that is going to help so they dont adhere to it.

Just dont know what to do..does anyone know of any anxiety medications?

He does still whine at the bottom of the stairs as well when he knows people are awake upstairs.

:(

·
Registered
912 Posts
Have you tried a long walk or tried to tire him out before you have to leave him, like a previous poster suggested? I think that would really help, it definitely helps my youngest when I know I'm going to be leaving him.

It sounds like he's worried when you leave because you're the only person in the home who cares for him. I don't doubt that he "doesn't feel the love" from your family members, and I can only imagine his terrifying feelings when you leave and he isn't sure you're coming back. I would try leaving him in a room by himself for a few minutes and if he's noisy immediately, I would stand outside the door and tell him "stop". When he's quiet, and stays quiet for even less than a minute, open the door and tell him how good he was. Just repeat this process two or three times a day (won't take you more than 10 minutes...) and make a game of it! If he thinks you're "testing him" and realizes that you are giving him lovins' and attention when he's quiet and alone, his anxiety should calm.

Good luck with the little guy! I hope he relaxes a bit so you're whole family will love on him! :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Great advice from Darcie
I hope it works for you let us know how you go
Also remember that it won't work immediately it will take time

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I'm so sorry you're still going through this. The only thing I can think of is maybe finding a doggy daycare to watch him while your out or if you know some trust-worthy people that need a few extra dollars that could watch him while you're out. By having someone watch him, might help him to get out of the separation axiety and maybe you wouldn't have to have someone watch him too long. I know how disappointed you must feel when your family doesn't support you. That's sad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts