Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We just got our 3rd dog, 2nd chi on Sunday. We know her foster family and she was generally very easy going happy little girl. She is about 4 yrs old, and a rescue from a high kill shelter in Los Angeles. She had been a stray and attacked by a dog leaving her with a scar on the side of her face, which right now has healed really nicely even though her fur hasnt grown in yet. We have only had her a few days now. we were happy to see that as soon as we brought her home, she was happy and generally outgoing. She would greet my husband with a wagging tail and let him pick her up and snuggle. She gets along with both dogs and cats very very well. No food aggression. She has not been skiddish or nervous. She has been very self confident and assured and happy. No signs of growling or aggression. Then suddlenly this evening she started cowering in the corner, growling, snapping and generally being very nervous and skiddish. I can not pin point anything outstanding that happened. It truly seemed to come on out of now where. It doesn't seem to be an aggressive but seems to be a defensive behaviour. I am stumped how to handle this one. Any suggestions will be very welcomed!

Thank you and sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Something scared the bejebers out of this pup. She is reacting in fear. I would leave her alone for a while, then see if you can lure her out with fantastic treats. Do you think one of your other dogs threatened her? If she has recently been attacked, then maybe she has reacted in fear if one of your other dogs growled at her??? Give her time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I should have also mentioned that she doesn't cower or growl at the dogs or cats. They go over to check her out and she just sniffs them back. It is just us that she is seems to be reacting to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts