Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Little Chumley has severe separation anxiety. I step out of the dog room and he is screaming. From the first time he did it I didn't go into the room until he stopped. The first few times it took over an hour before he was quiet, but it did get quicker for him to stop as the night wore on. This morning he cried while I got the rest of the dogs out back to pee, then went to get him out of his crate and carry him out. I have to carry Tico out already, he has to learn to wait his turn. He also put up a fuss when I got dressed, but then I was able to step into the kitchen to make coffee with a little bit of fuss and he was quiet after a few whimpers and didn't make a sound when I went to get the mail. So he may be coming around a bit.

I did a dumb thing last night. I knew better. I let him sleep in the bed. And woke up at 6:30 am to him having peed on my bed, pillow and arm. I striped the bed and put him in a crate and he slept in the crate without a whimper the rest of the night. I feel bad, I set him up to pee the bed. So, until he gets better control of his bladder, I will have him crated at night.

He's playful and basically a happy puppy. He's still being integrated into the pack, so he's still an outsider, but every once and a while the others include him in their running around. This will get better, they rest just need time to get to know him better and figure out his place in the pack. I guess Pepper isn't the baby of the bunch anymore. :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Awwww, bless his tiny heart...

Diesel has a bit of seperation anxiety, too. When I go upstairs, he cries...He can do the stairs, but it's alot of work for those tiny legs. He's finally bonded with 'the pack' with Gracie being his favorite and Pedro being the disciplinarian when he gets out of line. But...He can't get up on the furniture unless I prop up a pillow for him to climb on, and sometimes I forget. So, the crying is much worse when I leave the room and he can't get to Gracie...

How old is Chumley? Diesel is 4 months. I sure hope he grows out of it...(Right now he is in trouble for stealing my Christmas tree skirt and taking it into the dog crate over and over again...He's covered in red glitter. Guess I'd better get some packages wrapped and on it so he can't take off with it!)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol @ Diesel grabbing the three skirt. Sounds so cute.

Chumley's supposed to be a year old. But he's never been worked with and hes so clumsy, I think he may be younger. I just had to leave to go do something and my daughter said he cried and screamed the whole time I was gone. *sigh* Guess I got my work cut out for me with this little guy.

·
Registered
237 Posts
When we adopted Lily from the rescue she had separation anxiety. We tried everything short of medicating her with vet drug.., herbal, training, BarkOff. Our last resort was crate training her. I hated the idea. She would cry and bark and drool the whole time I was out, whether 1 min or 6 hours, the WHOLE time. We started crating her at night, and that went well. After about 8 months she stopped barking, crying and drooling when we go out. Now whenever we start getting ready to go out she runs into her crate.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Been working with him a lot and this morning, he let me go get dressed without a whimper. But then I went out back to pick up poo without him and he could see me through the window so he whined and screamed the whole time I was out there. So, it's one baby step forward at a time. The little puppy fit in immediately and my pack just loves him. (I'm still trying to find his family. With the holiday and me buying a travel trailer for my son to stay in, I never got to go to the vet or the pound to see if he is microchipped. I will Friday. But I do have ads on craigslist and in the paper)

Just decided to do something different today since I have a bunch of people coming over for dinner. I decided to tether him to me every time I leave the dog room. He is so fearful of everything around the house, this will keep him by me so no oopsie in the house and will expose him to things he should have been exposed to as a baby. And stop the constant screaming, I hope. We'll see how it goes...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Good luck Pam he couldn't have found a better home : )

Ps. Good luck on the puppy search are you thinking you may keep him if owners can't be found or re-home?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck Pam he couldn't have found a better home : )

Ps. Good luck on the puppy search are you thinking you may keep him if owners can't be found or re-home?
Thank you. I'm debating keeping the puppy. He's such a cool little dog, very sweet and happy. And all the dogs here love playing with him. But he's also young enough to be rehomed without problems, too. So, we'll see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts