Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if anoybody can help,

I have a few patterns that use velcro or webbing in them, and I cant get a normal needle to go through (Hand stitching or on my mini macine)

If I bought a proper machine do I need to get a special sort of needle to get through materials like this?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I have a sewing machine and the needle goes through fine, i also hand sew velcro on but find the slightly thinner needles work better but make sure its a good make else will snap, some velcro have little holes along the edge too.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahhh ok, thanks for that tip. I am waiting on some fabric and supplies to arrive and am going to attempt sewing a chihuahua bag carrier. (which I know will turn out awfull lol)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I have a sewing machine and the needle goes through fine, i also hand sew velcro on but find the slightly thinner needles work better but make sure its a good make else will snap, some velcro have little holes along the edge too.
I have to handsew velcro also, and iv had many a needle snap also sometimes get a saw finger/thumb from pushing it in/out! bloomin velcro...!

I cant wait to see the bag/carrier! I know it will turn out great, :D will you post pics when you have completed it? i love seeing your creations, maybe Angel will pull one of her faces if she models in it, hehe shes so cute x

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll post photos and then we can all have a good laugh at how bloody awfull it came out ha ha ha.

I am working on the dog tuxedo jacket, but am actually finding it difficult and tiring concentrating. It looked easy. Ive done 5 rows so far lol.

THanks for the lovely comments.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Janie, sometimes its the adhesive on the back of the velcro that keeps the needle from passing through easily. even if you have a good machine. I had difficulties when I made Zoe's puppy bag. The needle kept gumming up with the adhesive and I was not able to finish one part of it at all. I have to put fabric paint around the edges of the pawprints on one side to be able to wash it because i could not finish zig-zagging around it. so, if possible in your area get the velcro that is not self stick, or iron on.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh that makes some sense, o got the self sticking velcro, but it didnt stick lol..

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think there isnt much other use for it lol, it's useless!!

about as much use as a chocolate teapot ha ha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts