Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the more experienced sewers out there, I have attempted a few times to create some shirts and coats for Cooper in the past and have failed miserably all times. I am not experienced when it comes to the sewing machine, although I have used one on ocassion and have a working knowledge of them.

I have attempted the "free pattern" that most of you have used (I actually paid $1.00 for it at the fabric store) and I have tried many different kinds of fabrics from fleece to the pre-packaged cotton quilting squares. They always turn out looking like a 2 year old hand sewed them and I get embarassed for Cooper when I try them on him. (They never fit right, either.)

My problem seems to be that the pattern/clothing is so small, I can't seem to work the machine around the fabric. Can anyone give me any tips or helpful hints for my next attempt?

·
Registered
534 Posts
HI......when you sew the neck....make sure to allow an extra inch for seams and overlap....same on the belly....I always measure the girls first, then make the dress/harness about 2-3 inches bigger. When you cut the pattern out...dry fit it....then sew a few loose stitches and fit it again. When I was first trying, Mine looked like crud...I cried I was so frustrated...now it takes only about an hour to make one. Keep practicing! It will be worth it in the end! You can look at them here! Good luck!
http://community.webshots.com/user/soulstorms30

·
Registered
661 Posts
also, once you've sewn around the entire harness (except for the one opening you will turn it thru), clip up to the stitching on all the curves (notch triangles out on the curves that are inward to remove the extra bulk).
When you have it turned right-side-out, before you close up the opening, use something pointy to get into all the corners and edges to make sure the seams are all the way to the outside (without the fabric folded over them) then press it flat and top-stitch around the edge (folding in your opening first).
For a beginner, I would suggest to stick with lighter weight fabrics (like the quilting cotten you mentioned). Something like polar fleece will be much harder to deal with turning and getting to lay flat. If you do want to use something thicker, only use it on the one side - then use something light weight for the inside.
I also noticed on the one harness I made for Tico that the neck strap should have been adjusted a little. as he got close to growing out of it, I needed to velcro it closed at about a 45 degree angle to give his neck a little more room (if that's clear at all). The next one I do I'll change that. The other thing I'd do differently next time is make the back longer to be more of a "coat". Here's a link to Tico in his original harness: http://64.34.162.71/pix/dogs/67/163267/163267_1120539524.jpg

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
When I first started making clothes for Gadget I was so frustrated I wanted to throw the machine out the window...

How ever... I did get through that phase.. now when I make things for him the turn out really nice... I love making his bandanas... I have a couple sweaters and coats cut out for him but I haven't sewn them up yet.. I have lots to cut out... I went to Joann fabrics and bought a pattern for $1.99 on sale.. it has like 4 different patterns on it and I think 5 different sizes.. I cut out the large one size and trace the other sizes so I have all the sizes.. I wanted them incase I had a bigger dog that wanted clothes...

I usually sew really slow the first time I start sewing a new outfit.. that way I have more control over the material... I also have problems doing curvey areas.. but I just go slow and it helps.. takes longer but oh well..

good luck and God bless

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions/tips... I guess I'll just try to be a little bit more patient. That or just win the lottery so I can buy Cooper his clothes (or pay one of y'all to make them!)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Cooper... It took me years of owning a sewing machine before I actually really started using it... we bought our sewing machine in 1997 and I used it 3 times... once to make a blanket for Amanda(which didn't turn out perfect(Very far from perfect) but she loves it) once to make a dress for Amanda with alot of help from my mom.. and the third time my mom and I made a big witches cape.. now that was alot of work.. I used a totally of 15 yards of material and it looked so cool when it was done... it took us 2 days to make it..

then the sewing machine sat in its case for years... I did bring it oput every so often to mend something but whenI got Gadget and saw everybodies clothes they make I knew I had to make some... Most of the material I have is hand me down from my mom... alot of it is scraps and I even got multiple yardage from her... I have a cabinet that is about 4 feet long by 2 1/2 feet wide by 2 feet deep adn it is stuffed full of material.. I think I bought about 6 pieces...

I am going to start cutting stuff out this weekend...

good luck on your adventure with sewing.. i know that I had to calm down and take one step at a time.... I also figured out when I get to the frustrated point... I walk away... get my mind off of it and then go back a while later and I can do it better...

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Gadget's Mom said:
When I first started making clothes for Gadget I was so frustrated I wanted to throw the machine out the window...
Thats exactly how i felt :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts