Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ever since i ran out of doggy shampoo ive been washinq randy in human body wash. i do not use soap bars. i always wash in this cream body soap called olay' and i like it. i know he should be using only doggy shampoo but he seems absolutly fine with it. :hello1: his fur has gotten even softer and looks healthier :hello1: ! which is amazinq to me! so i was just wonderinq should i completly stop using this "soap" until i buy him his doggy shampoo again, should i continue using it until i get more, or should i just keep using this? :confused:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Our smooth coated babies can go a month (or even much more) without being bathed. I do not know how often you are bathing him.

I, personally do not use hair nor body products with harsh surfactants (cleansers), so NO sulfates (sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, etc.) so I also would not use those on the girls. MANY commercial products sold for us-and our pets-contain those.

I bathe them in organic baby wash or one of my gentle cleansers.

I am also very sensitive to other ingredients and fragrances and therefore I treat the girls as I do myself and do not use products that are heavy in those.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our smooth coated babies can go a month (or even much more) without being bathed. I do not know how often you are bathing him.

I, personally do not use hair nor body products with harsh surfactants (cleansers), so NO sulfates (sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, etc.) so I also would not use those on the girls. MANY commercial products sold for us-and our pets-contain those.

I bathe them in organic baby wash or one of my gentle cleansers.

I am also very sensitive to other ingredients and fragrances and therefore I treat the girls as I do myself and do not use products that are heavy in those.

i wash him every 2 weeks because my mothers fiance complains about him stinking or shedding alot, when he really does not.

and what name brands do you prefer on your chi's?

·
Registered
71 Posts
well ever since i ran out of doggy shampoo ive been washinq randy in human body wash. i do not use soap bars. i always wash in this cream body soap called olay' and i like it. i know he should be using only doggy shampoo but he seems absolutly fine with it. :hello1: his fur has gotten even softer and looks healthier :hello1: ! which is amazinq to me! so i was just wonderinq should i completly stop using this "soap" until i buy him his doggy shampoo again, should i continue using it until i get more, or should i just keep using this? :confused:
If I were you I would stop using it ASAP human soap is not made for animals that is why they do not test it on them the chemicals they use in our soaps are too harsh for animals and although it may not effect him now it may have bad reactions later on we once washed our old Chi in the same bath water my son had just finsihed using he had johnsens baby shampoo in there and my Chi got an awful hematoma and had to be taken to the vet ASAP and put on meds it instantly swelled up and turned a bright reddish purple color it was very scary. So please just be careful if I were you I would just wait until you get some doggy shampoo again besides Chihuahua's rarely need to be bathed in the first place so I think he can wait :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I were you I would stop using it ASAP human soap is not made for animals that is why they do not test it on them the chemicals they use in our soaps are too harsh for animals and although it may not effect him now it may have bad reactions later on we once washed our old Chi in the same bath water my son had just finsihed using he had johnsens baby shampoo in there and my Chi got an awful hematoma and had to be taken to the vet ASAP and put on meds it instantly swelled up and turned a bright reddish purple color it was very scary. So please just be careful if I were you I would just wait until you get some doggy shampoo again besides Chihuahua's rarely need to be bathed in the first place so I think he can wait :)

oh wow! i thought some ppl said that if you ever ran out of doggy shampoo to use johnsons baby soap next. thanks for the warning!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
oh wow! i thought some ppl said that if you ever ran out of doggy shampoo to use johnsons baby soap next. thanks for the warning!
Johnsons baby soap is made for babies, not adults. The skin of the average person and a baby is very different.

Don't use body wash on him, you could be exacerbating the problem by over bathing him as well.

There are plenty of good quality shampoos for pets. I have used with success the Pet Head and Kong lines which have shampoos, conditioners, conditioning sprays, clean wipes, leave in conditioners etc. etc.

Pet head makes wipes and sprays that can be used in between baths to diminish smell and condition the coat which I find decreases shedding. There should be no need to bathe more than once a month, mine sometimes go even longer with no problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use the furminator shampoo and brush it helps alot and they have a deshedding shampoo also it would be good to use dog purfumes in between to help the odor.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I also use the pethead shampoos. They last forever and smell nice. The blueberry/oatmeal one makes them really soft. Their spray stuff is nice smelling too and works well between baths. The scent stays for at least a few days. Maybe pick a smell your mom's fiancee likes lol.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also use the pethead shampoos. They last forever and smell nice. The blueberry/oatmeal one makes them really soft. Their spray stuff is nice smelling too and works well between baths. The scent stays for at least a few days. Maybe pick a smell your mom's fiancee likes lol.
^^^^^ oooh okay, that sounds nice. and thats good that the fur is still very soft. lol and i will def. let him pick the scent lol. :hello1:

I use the furminator shampoo and brush it helps alot and they have a deshedding shampoo also it would be good to use dog purfumes in between to help the odor.
^^^where would the furminator be located at? and i didnt know they had dog perfurms! lol :D

Pet Head Poof! Blackberry Vanilla Magical Deodorizing Spray - Grooming - Dog - PetSmart

I use this every other week or so, it keeps their coats moisturized and provides an agreeable smell.
^^^^oh okay, i will look into that, looks good. :)

Johnsons baby soap is made for babies, not adults. The skin of the average person and a baby is very different.

^^^^i dont use baby soap for anything. :mad: (ewww face lol) and oh i know that but i thought a few people said when they ran out of doggy shampoo they used the baby wash thing and that it was perfectly fine for them? i did not know. :)

Don't use body wash on him, you could be exacerbating the problem by over bathing him as well.

There are plenty of good quality shampoos for pets. I have used with success the Pet Head and Kong lines which have shampoos, conditioners, conditioning sprays, clean wipes, leave in conditioners etc. etc.

Pet head makes wipes and sprays that can be used in between baths to diminish smell and condition the coat which I find decreases shedding. There should be no need to bathe more than once a month, mine sometimes go even longer with no problem.

^^^^ okay, yes i knew i shouldnt be bathing him so much. and is pet head the name of the shampoo? :hello1:

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can get furminator at petsmart, petland and some other stores but I am not sure where you are located and if any stores out there carry it. All pet stores even walmart sells pet perfume it is usually in the cat isle though.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Everything us humans use on our bodies and in our bodies is poisonous!! Filled with chemicals & poisons. I use a vet prescribed shampoo currently, but it's $9.00 a bottle and when it's finished I will use Johnson's Baby shampoo. I have twin 5 years olds that will continue to use Johnson's baby shampoo well into their 20's & hopefully til they die. I plan to start using it as well when I finish the rest of what's left. I've used Johnson's baby shampoo on my chi and it's never caused any reactions. She came out sooooo soft and smelled really good. I love it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Everything us humans use on our bodies and in our bodies is poisonous!! Filled with chemicals & poisons. I use a vet prescribed shampoo currently, but it's $9.00 a bottle and when it's finished I will use Johnson's Baby shampoo. I have twin 5 years olds that will continue to use Johnson's baby shampoo well into their 20's & hopefully til they die. I plan to start using it as well when I finish the rest of what's left. I've used Johnson's baby shampoo on my chi and it's never caused any reactions. She came out sooooo soft and smelled really good. I love it.
I would be EXTREAMLY careful about suggesting the use of Johnsons if you read my erlier post my Chi had an EXTREME reaction to it and had a hematoma he had to be taken to the vet immidetly and he was swollen a reddish, purple color for like 2 weeks.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I would be EXTREAMLY careful about suggesting the use of Johnsons if you read my erlier post my Chi had an EXTREME reaction to it and had a hematoma he had to be taken to the vet immidetly and he was swollen a reddish, purple color for like 2 weeks.
Oh, really??? I'm sorry to hear that. Can you tell me which Johnson's you used? What it the clear shampoo or lilac? I'll try to find your other posts. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Johnsons baby shampoo contains formaldehyde, as do most of the baby shampoos. Just because it is marketed as gentle and good for babies, doesn't mean it is.

Group finds carcinogens in kids bath products - USATODAY.com

Scientific studies show that Johnson's baby shampoo contains formaldehyde measured at 200ppm (parts per million). It is a by-product of the manufacturing process.

From the website cited above ....

Avoiding controversial chemicals at the supermarket could be a daunting task, the report says. None of the baby bath products tested in the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics' new report list formldehyde and 1,4-dioxane on their labels, since they're formed as manufacturing byproducts and aren't added intentionally.

The group says consumers can look out for ingredients that are likely to contain either of the chemicals, though, including: peg-100 stearate, sodium laureth sulfate, polyethylene and ceteareth-20, quaternium-15, DMDM hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea and sodium hydroxymethoylglycinate.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I use this one:
Buy California Baby Calming Shampoo & Bodywash Online at drugstore.com

Here is the ingredient deck:
Aqua (Purifed) Water, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) (*), Decyl Glucoside (*), Lauryl Glucoside (* corn, coconut and palm), Quillaja Saponaria (soap bark), Herbal Blend, Cereus Grandiflorus (Cactus) Flower Extract (* cactus), Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower (*), Carageenan (Irish Moss) (*), Viola Tricolor (Pansy) Extract (*), Salix Alba (Willow Bark) (*), Yucca Aloifolia Extract (* yucca), Vegetable Glycerin, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil (* jojoba oil), Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract (grapefruit), Polyaminopropyl Biguanide (extremely mild non-invasive preservative), * Certified Organic

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I use this one:
Buy California Baby Calming Shampoo & Bodywash Online at drugstore.com

Here is the ingredient deck:
Aqua (Purifed) Water, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) (*), Decyl Glucoside (*), Lauryl Glucoside (* corn, coconut and palm), Quillaja Saponaria (soap bark), Herbal Blend, Cereus Grandiflorus (Cactus) Flower Extract (* cactus), Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower (*), Carageenan (Irish Moss) (*), Viola Tricolor (Pansy) Extract (*), Salix Alba (Willow Bark) (*), Yucca Aloifolia Extract (* yucca), Vegetable Glycerin, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil (* jojoba oil), Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract (grapefruit), Polyaminopropyl Biguanide (extremely mild non-invasive preservative), * Certified Organic
Thanks for this! Although very expensive & I would have to order online, I am definitely going to get a couple of bottles.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Johnsons baby shampoo contains formaldehyde, as do most of the baby shampoos. Just because it is marketed as gentle and good for babies, doesn't mean it is.

Group finds carcinogens in kids bath products - USATODAY.com

Scientific studies show that Johnson's baby shampoo contains formaldehyde measured at 200ppm (parts per million). It is a by-product of the manufacturing process.

From the website cited above ....

Avoiding controversial chemicals at the supermarket could be a daunting task, the report says. None of the baby bath products tested in the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics' new report list formldehyde and 1,4-dioxane on their labels, since they're formed as manufacturing byproducts and aren't added intentionally.

The group says consumers can look out for ingredients that are likely to contain either of the chemicals, though, including: peg-100 stearate, sodium laureth sulfate, polyethylene and ceteareth-20, quaternium-15, DMDM hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea and sodium hydroxymethoylglycinate.
Here is just another example of when I finally think I'm on the right track, I'm punched in the face with facts, which it is my own fault for not doing the research & reading the label! It's making me sick to my stomach!! Thanks for this info!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts