Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:
I was petting Maya today and noticed a very sharp point like feeling at the end of what appears to be her last rib. It's only on one side, but it almost feels like one of her ribs is cracked off (doubting it's that but it is this pointy end). What the heck could it be? She is getting spayed tomorrow and I will ask the vet. But I am curious as to what this might be. She seems to be in no pain.
Thanks.
Tricia

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Was wondering what the Vet said about this sharp point? my Minnie has something that sounds the same. she is very thin, so i just thought it was the way one of her ribs were, i never thought it was anything to worry about because i've observed her and she seems fine, i've noticed it there for quite a while. i forgot to mention it when i took them to get there heartworm test.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vet seemed very non-plussed by it. He said, "Yep. Those are her ribs." I mentioned that it wasn't boney and sticking out like that on the other side and he felt a little bit more and said, that she might have once broken a rib. ??? How would THAT have happened? Seirously this dog...ugh. But when my friend was there with her little Chi, (and in the operating room watching Maya get spayed) he mentioned doing an x-ray before she woke up; presuming that he is looking at that rib.
I will let you know when I pick her up.
Tricia

·
Registered
346 Posts
I felt this on Harley when he was little and it was only when he was in certain positions and often wondered what it was, sometimes I can't feel it though. Like now he's grown more it's more difficult to feel where it was.. does sound like a floating rib though

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found out what it is. It's an extra rib. Well 1/2 an extra rib. Dr. did an X-ray and there it was. Said it's nothing to worry about and actually not that uncommon. Maya did great in her surgery and all is good. :)
Tricia

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have always called it a floating rib but thought there may be a more technical word for it? All my breeds have always had them. Sometimes you see them and sometimes you dont.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I found out what it is. It's an extra rib. Well 1/2 an extra rib. Dr. did an X-ray and there it was. Said it's nothing to worry about and actually not that uncommon. Maya did great in her surgery and all is good. :)
Tricia
I was going to say extra rib....I have come across quite a few chihuahuas with this x

·
Registered
34 Posts
THANKS for this thread!! I have been worrying about Tiki, because she has this too. The vet checked her over when we adopted her said she was perfectly fine (besides being underweight) but I still fretted. Thanks again! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts