Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Ive seen poodles getting groomed and they would shave the the face and whiskers. Would it be weird to shave a chi's muzzle to make it look smaller? Lol!!! Crazy curious thought of mine. Like not down to the skin shave but just enough to still have hair.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I groom, and I would not do it, even if a client asked. There are some groomers that disagree, which is fine.
I believe Chis' faces don't need to be shaved. Whiskers are an important hunting and orientation tool for dogs.
I especially don't like shaving off dogs' whiskers, who knows how it will affect them/impair their abilities.

There are different opinions regarding the subject, so it's up to you to decide what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I've heard that for cats it disrupts their balance to shave them off. I wonder if the same is true for dogs?
Cats judge distances with their whiskers also. Like if a door is wide enough for them to go through. We had a black cat when I was growing up, and he got out. Someone cut one side of his whiskers off, and he wouldn't walk through the doors. I've also heard that they have nerves in them and that its painful to the cats to cut them.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I have heard that obedience dogs doing the advanced work need the whiskers for picking up the dumbells and the gloves etc. It makes it easier for them to judge just where they should open their mouths? Something I read no doubt!! Sue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.