Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone through 1 harness and 2 collars since in just a few short months with Lina. I bought her the nylon lookin' things from Petco first, she chewed through her hotpink harness and then she chewed through her pink collar. Well, I thought, "I'll get her a leather one and it'll be harder to chew through" WRONG! I left her in the car for a short period of time today (no worries, she had water and windows cracked and it was still kinda nice out) while my mom, aunt, and I went into a restraunt. When I came out she had chewed through her brand new (bought just yesterday before I left) pink leather collar! I don't know what else to do. I want her to have a collar but it seems like when she gets mad at me for something she chews through it. Does that sound crazy?? Does anyone else have that kind of problem? It's driving me crazy! Now, I have to go buy a new one. What am I supposed to do for her tag and stuff? She was doing fine with it all through the trip, I didn't even put her harness on her to let her walk around to potty when we'd stop. She just used her collar. But the minute I left her she chewed it up! Any suggestions girls??

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Buster has chewed up every collar that I have besides the ones that I have their tags on. :x I kept them in a travel house that is too small for Mr. now, with all their collars and leashes. Buster went in there and chewed up every one of them.

He hasn't chewed up any that he was wearing though.

How long were you out of the car? If they feel they are being 'left' then they will freak out.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
mine never chew their collars .....but i never leave them on .
for a walk i use a harness and to go out :wink: i put fabncy collars on them .

maybe if she always has them on and get bored a bit, she will start to chew it?

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
If it's a collar and not a harness, maybe it's too loose on her neck? I'm having trouble imagining Cooper reaching his to chew on it.

Or maybe she doesn't think you have very good fashion sense and is trying to tell you she would rather have diamonds. :lol:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
LOL Kylie and Tequila do the exact same thing, especally Kylie. I have gone through so many harnesses with her.

I actually just bought her another one last week, by the end of the night she had almost chewed through it :shock: I never catch her chewing it either...she is sneaky. I really dont have much advise for you only because I havent figured out how to stop Kylie...lol. I just take the harnesses and collars off of her during the day in the house and put them on her when I take them out...that way they last longer then a day :wink:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cooper- I try to make it tight enough that she won't be able to get it in her mouth, but then it seems too tight so I loosen it. I'm always afraid it's going to choke her or something.

I wasn't in the restraunt very long, I didn't want to leave her that long in the car. I put her pig in there with her and the last time I left her she was just fine like that.

I usually do use a harness with her because I'm afraid I'll snap her neck or something with a collar (yeah, can we say paranoid chi mommy? lol). But, it was just for a little while and I thought I had it on tight enough. Grr! I'm returning the other one I bought and going on ebay to get a more expensive one. Maybe the more expensive ones are made better. Do you think??

·
Registered
663 Posts
Josie nibbles on the end of hers because it's still a bit big for her right now.

In Chihuahuas for Dummies, they reccomend leaving the collar off until mealtime. When your Chi eats, they're more concerned with the food in front of them. Put the collar on them then, so they'll feel it, but won't chew on it. Leave it on them for increments, like mealtime plus five minutes, then move on to mealtime plus ten, etc. Eventually, they won't mind it at all. I've been doing this with Josie and it's really worked for me.

Hope I helped. :wave:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks amykate :) I'll try that with her. It's not really that she minds wearing it so much. It's mainly that she gets mad cause I'm not paying attention to her and chews it off lol. It's almost like she throws a fit :roll:. I'm going to try to get her another one that will be harder to chew through. I will try doing that with the new one though :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
No problem! Chihuahuas for Dummies is really a great book to pick up, especially for new Chi owners. It's got tons of useful information in it and little tips about how to do just about everything. I ordered my copy, brand new, from Half.com and it was only $8.50 including shipping. :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I seriously doubt if buying a more expensive collar is going to help, as she can probably chew through leather just as easily as nylon, vinyl, etc.

It really sounds like she is annoyed at you for leaving her. Do you leave it on her in the house, and does she chew on it when you are around? If not, then I would say it sounds like she is just throwing a little tantrum... :lol: Like Cooper's mom, I don't know how she gets to the collar to chew on it unless you have it too loose. You should just be able to stick your finger between the collar and her skin. If there is more room than that, then it is too loose. I sometimes have to punch an extra hole in Jazzy's collars as one notch will be too tight, but if I move it out to the next notch it will be too loose.

I'm not sure what you can do to help this situation, as I've never had this problem. Jazzy tried to get to hers to chew on it when I first started putting it on her, but that was just because she wasn't used to it. Once she got used to the collar, she quit trying to chew on it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts