Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to getting Sissy's nails clipped she goes berserk and won't sit still. She seems to be deathly afraid of the clippers (ones we bought for dogs only).

Any tips/advice on how to clip her nails? We don't have the $$ to bring her to a groomer...even if we did the lady would have a really hard time getting her to sit still.

We tried putting a towel over her eyes like a horse trainer does when a horse is going for surgery or whatever. That doesn't work. :(. Hm. Anyone?

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
it's going to be a slooooooowwww process :)
start by just holding her in your lap, getting her relaxed and just gently touching her paw.
work up to doing the same and letting her smell the clippers.
reward her for staying calm.
take small steps each day until she will allow the clippers to touch her paw (no trimming yet)
Finally, gently clip one or two nails and then lavish lots of praise for her cooperation.
Continue a bit more each day and eventually you should get there.
Just don't rush her. Plan to make small improvement each day.
I don't recommend the towel idea of anything that forces her to cooperate.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
it's going to be a slooooooowwww process :)
start by just holding her in your lap, getting her relaxed and just gently touching her paw.
work up to doing the same and letting her smell the clippers.
reward her for staying calm.
take small steps each day until she will allow the clippers to touch her paw (no trimming yet)
Finally, gently clip one or two nails and then lavish lots of praise for her cooperation.
Continue a bit more each day and eventually you should get there.
Just don't rush her. Plan to make small improvement each day.
I don't recommend the towel idea of anything that forces her to cooperate.
Good luck :)

We had to do something like this for Lincoln...months later and were still working on it. I use a grinder because I'm a coward and afraid I'll hurt him but it does work. He will let us do one or two now. Were learning to draw the line between stopping because he just doesn't feel like having his nails done, and stopping because he's had enough...not an easy task...

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I totally agree with Jerry's mom...Jasper use to freak out to over nail clipping. We (most especially my hubby) works with Jasper by handling and rubbing his paws a lot...give tons of praise for every couple of nails I clip and to be honest lots of training treats during the clipping sessions. Over time he has gotten much better. He still gets nervous but he doesn't yelp and cry any more. It still takes my hubby to hold him while I clip though. Moose thankfully just curls up in my lap while I do his and Hannah is very calm but only if my hubby cuddles her.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i think the best advice has already been said take some patience for a life long ordeal to be easy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts