Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's storming here right now and has been the better part of the afternoon. Lina has never been scared of loud noises but ever since the thunder started she has been under my feet. At one point she was even hiding behind them when I was in the bathroom :oops: I went to change the laundry and went back to the toy room and she was hiding in the kids entertainment center (holds the tv and videos). I pulled her out and have been carrying her around ever since. She's sitting on my lap right now, under a big blanket (that is not needed for me lol). She's shivering like ya'll wouldn't believe. She was fine during the 4th of July with the fireworks and she's fine with loud music and all kinds of other loud stuff. She hardly ever goes and hides when the kids are getting loud. But, for some reason she's really really terrified today. Is anyone elses chi like this? Is there anything I can do to make her more at ease without carrying her all over the place. Not that I mind doing that, but I'd like to be prepared for next time.

Also, last weekend we had a tornado hit the town and actually touched down behind our house. We had to grab the 2 kids and Lina and run to the neighbor in a hurry (we don't have a basement). Could that have made her more afraid that she used to be? I know she was super scared cause she was shivering so much, but could that be the reason she's just sooo scared this time??

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Awww poor baby just cuddle her and let her hide under anything.
My poor Bella knows when bad weather is coming she starts shaking and hides in the hallway and if it thunders she shakes like mad :cry: the only place she feels really safe is in the bed under the covers.Poco on the other hand isn't concerned about it at all.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Lily's been scared to death of thunderstorms this summer too. She would like to just run and hide in a corner but I won't let her do that. I wrap her in a blankie and take her in the bathroom (no windows) and sing softly to her. We like Amazing Grace, Silent Night and This Land is Your Land in particular. :) She calms down after 10 or 15 minutes and then we just lie down on the couch together until the storm passes.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Chloe is also scared to death of strorms! She hates the thunder the most. She will run to me and want me to pick her up and carry her. She shakes and wimpers something terrible. The boys dont seem to be bothered by it at all?? They try to be so "tough"! :)

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
the reacent chaos from the t might have done it. dogs pick up very easily upon a humans sense of fear and panick and if it didnt happen before that it woudl see theis is whats started it, but now shes stuck in this panick mode. your best bet is to just comfort her, let her hide and ive her lots of treats and praise, talk in soft but happy voices so she knows your not afraid...

and rember whats loud to your ears is louder to hers...if her safe place is in your lap let her stay there...she just needs to feel secure and nurtured.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks girls :) The storm passed and after dinner we curled up in my bfs comfy chair :) She's doing much better. I held her the whole time I was making dinner and she stopped shaking. She's sleeping in our bed right now too...so she has calmed down a lot :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bandit hears the first little sound of thunder and he starts to shake. Now he is scared of the rain hitting the roof too if it rains hard. He doesn't only shake but he gets so upset he starts panting, and then sometimes he gets the snorting thing going on. He's just a mess! It really scared me the first time because I didn't know what the heck had happened to him (he wasn't scared when he was a puppy, just this summer). I hold him and we cuddle until it's all over and he stops shaking about five minutes after the thunder goes away.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper was afraid of storms when he was a puppy but has since grown out of it. I guess since OmaKitty isn't afraid of them (and she's afraid of EVERYTHING), he decided he didn't need to be either.

I got OmaKitty over her fear of thunderstorms pretty easily, which, if you knew OmaKitty, you would know "easy" with Oma isn't easy. All I did was purchase one of those "sounds of the storm" CDs and I played it on the stereo, starting at a low volume. Then I played with her and her Mr. Fuzzy toy that she loved and, as we were playing, I turned up the volume slowly in increments. She never noticed ... the next time we had a storm coming, I put the CD on, got Mr. Fuzzy out and we played until the storm was over. She hasn't been scared of storms since. :D

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
awww cooper that sounded so sweet. We have never had a storm in the time i have had deano so i guess i dont know! My m. terrier used to be pettrified tho n pee her self! litrally.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
When I picked up Lily from daycare today the owner couldn't wait to tell me that "Lily is soooo brave." "Why?" I asked. "Because she slept through the biggest thunderstorm I've seen in about 10 years." "My Lily? Slept through a thunderstorm???"

It hadn't even rained in the town where I work so I was unaware it was storming where Lily was. I'd probably have been nervous for her.

I'm starting to think Lily puts on that big scared act just to get me to sing to her in the bathroom. :D

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
I'm starting to think Lily puts on that big scared act just to get me to sing to her in the bathroom. :D[/quote

Now do you really believe that sweet little angel Lily would do such a devious thing? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fortunately, Jaz is not afraid of thunderstorms and I'm so glad. We have thunderstorms with lots of thunder and lightening almost very afternoon here in the summertime.

·
Registered
24 Posts
caesura just sleeps. :D but our greyhound huddles under our legs which is hard for a 58 pound girl. if she is out back and it pours she hides under the deck and wont come when called. i have to grab a poncho and rescue her! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts