Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok since we got saskia weve had lots of trouble with her eating she refuses to eat any kinda cat or dog food she eats a bit of ham now and again thats it she will not eat lil biskits or anything its really getting em angry becosue im getting furstrated with her i try and make her eat some meat 2 times aday but she hardley eats anything the vet said that shes ok and not ill and he doesnt understand why shes doing it either any tips on what she might really really want to eat i honestly have tried everything it takes ages for me to feed her eck !

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Cat food is not good for dogs, have you tried Eukanuba small bite maintenance thats what the girls eat. :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
That is troublesome. I agree with sullysmom, cat food is not good for dogs. Have you tried both dry and canned food? Am sure you probably have. I had a terrible time finding a food Jasmine would eat also. She is presently on Royal Canin, but at times she won't eat that either. When she refuses the Royal Canin, I sometimes cook her some boiled chicken with a little rice. I know a lot of people say, if they get hungry enough they will eat what you feed them. But if she doesn't eat all day, I worry about her and usually give her some nutrical. And if she still doesn't eat the next morning, then I'll cook her some chicken, or some hamburger. I don't like giving her raw meat, and my vet doesn't recommend it either.

If you feed her dry, have you tried putting water or some gravy on it? Maybe try putting some gravy on canned food also. You can buy a bottled gravy for specially for dogs, but I've read and heard it is not good for them. Anyone else heard that?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I am at a loss to tell you what to do... I have never had a problem with Gadget eating... He is a god eater... I changed him from Science Diet to Royal Canin. I mixed the 2 and he would pick the SD out and put it on the floor... will not touch the stuff now... hehehhe

Have you tried cottage cheese? I heard it was really good for dogs and they will eat it when they won't eat anything else...

Good luck and God bless.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I did have the same problem with sasha she had been eating puppy chow really well then just stopped. I have tried 5 different types to see if she would eat finally she started eating pedigree puppy small bites. Sheesh didn't know dogs could be so picky :lol:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Gadget's Mom said:
Have you tried cottage cheese? I heard it was really good for dogs and they will eat it when they won't eat anything else...
quote]

I have given Lily cottage cheese and she loves it, but I'm afraid of the high sodium content.

Good luck. When they won't eat, it just makes you crazy. :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I had the same problem with Daytona and the other kids. i tried all the best foods for them. noses went up in the air. we went to my moms and they all went nuts for kibbles n bits thats what she had down for her chi's so thats what it is. imagine turning noses up at gourmet foods for kibbles n bits. If you feel she isnt eating enough use nutrical just a little bit its a stimulant for eating

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I personally haven't had a problem with Zeus eating. Zeus is on Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance with a tablespoon of Cesar wet food. My inlaws have a very picky eater (Silky Terrier) and my mother inlaw does a lot of boiled chicken and rice. Also, save the chicken broth (homemade only as commericial is too high in salt content. Maybe if she slowly starts to eat the chicken and rice, you can migrate to dry food soley and add some chicken brother for flavoring.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
NoahFL said:
Also, save the chicken broth (homemade only as commericial is too high in salt content.
I make my own chicken broth for Lily (practically fat free and totally salt free) and freeze it in ice cube trays. Then I save the ice cubes in zip-lock bags. Very handy if I want to cook her some rice when her tummy is upset or just as a special treat by itself. Chicken makes her sick but she tolerates the broth very well.

BTW, I don't bother making chicken broth for myself. Canned is good enough for me. :lol:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I make my own chicken broth for Lily (practically fat free and totally salt free) and freeze it in ice cube trays. Then I save the ice cubes in zip-lock bags. Very handy if I want to cook her some rice when her tummy is upset or just as a special treat by itself. Chicken makes her sick but she tolerates the broth very well.

BTW, I don't bother making chicken broth for myself. Canned is good enough for me.
That is a WONDERFUL idea about ice cubes. I use canned broth for myself (low sodium one), but Zeus gets nothing but the best.. hehe

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
panick over right well i went to asda today doing the weekly shop and bought a few diffrent foods for her she hates meat with jelly or gravy sooo we got this cheap asda own brand for her its like the posh stuff but not its in small fresh tin thingys that you peel back the lid on anyways got it home and im not joking she wolfed it down she has to be hand feed she will not eat it off the plate BUT after a while i lifted the plate to her and she ate the whole lot shes eaten loads of it i couldnt believe it im really happy now i was sooo worried about her!!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I know exactly how you feel because I swear that Poppy is the pickiest eater on this forum! She wont touch any form of kibble (I have bought every brand known to man from the cheapest to the most expensive, including Royal Canine)
She will eat chicken, mostly, but rice only sometimes. She loves treats and would live on them if she could. She likes mashed potatoes, apple and cotage cheese....but wont eat anything consistently! I have more problems with her food than feeding my own family! And last but not leat she will not touch Nutrical! :roll: Good luck!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Camilla King said:
I know exactly how you feel because I swear that Poppy is the pickiest eater on this forum! She wont touch any form of kibble (I have bought every brand known to man from the cheapest to the most expensive, including Royal Canine)
She will eat chicken, mostly, but rice only sometimes. She loves treats and would live on them if she could. She likes mashed potatoes, apple and cotage cheese....but wont eat anything consistently! I have more problems with her food than feeding my own family! And last but not leat she will not touch Nutrical! :roll: Good luck!
chiwi won't eat the nutrical either. so i open her mouth and squirt some on the roof of her mouth, she has no choice but to swallow. i'm so mean but i know whats good for her.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts