Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bella, Roxy and I were all playing on the front porch when bella found a little stick. So we were kinda playing fetch and then one time she brought it back and i took it from her (we had been playing for a while now) and she didnt want to give it back. She snarled and bit me and I BLED!!! She has always been a little brat but biting me like that crosses the line. :evil: What should i do?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
ooohhh Bella's in troooooouuubbbble

Does she growl at you if you try to take her food or her favorite toy away from her? If so, you might have a dominance surge going on. If not, she may have lost her head for a moment - what did she do after she bit you? Did she cower and "act" like she was sorry or did she stand there and give you a look like "take that!"??

I'm trying to recall what we were taught in training to make a dog release things like food, toys, etc... but I can't remember off-hand and I'm still at Mom and Dad's house. If Foxy is around, she may be able to give some info though...

Tell Bella that's not nice though! Cooper says that's really rude and he's very disappointed that she would bite her momma. :(

·
Registered
897 Posts
I just had this issue with Angel not too long ago over a chicken bone. Although she snarled viciously at me and snapped at my hand, she never went far enough to bite. But it was a scary moment! I'm no training expert and while what I did worked for us, it isn't necessarily the recommended way of handling this kind of thing. I was just flying by the seat of my pants...

When I saw Angel had the bone, I approached her (probably too fast and ominously). She immediately started growling at me. When I got my hands close to her, she growled and tried to snap. I threw caution to the wind and pried that bone out of her mouth with her snapping the whole time and growling loudly. I immediately told her "NO!!! You don't do that!!!!" and put her in her pen for a time out while I took out the garbage. I let her out a few minutes later and she clearly felt very bad.

She has only gotten mad at me one other time since then (just the other night actually) and growled at me because I needed to move her. All I had to do was say, "HEY!" and she immediately went into kissies mode. :)

The only possible difference here is that Angel really doesn't try to be dominant. So this may not be enough for you if that is the problem you are having.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
OMG Bella sounds just like tyson :? the food thing and the bite thing he too has made me bleed but nothing i do seems to stop him when he gets in that mood :? i just ignore him and dont give him any attention til he is nice to me, he did it to my mum too the other day so think he is testing her out too. Its difficult when they get like that , i do sympathise with you

·
Registered
974 Posts
Oh wow! I've never had that problem with Charley ... I'm so sorry. I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure you'll get some great answers here though!

:flower:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Taco has done this to me, too, when I tried to take something from him once. He didn't actually bite, but he growled and snapped. He does tend to push the issue occasionally and I have to make extra effort for a while to make sure that he knows exactly who is boss. When he did it to me, I took it from him, tossed him on his back and held him there while I told him in a very stern voice that he was a bad dog, until he stopped struggling. Then for a few days, I made sure that I showed him in other ways, like not letting him walk through doorways first and occasionlly rolling him over on his back and holding him there until he stops struggling (he doesn't like that position), just to establish my dominance. He's still only a year old, and even though I'm not an expert, I'm hoping that as he gets older he'll settle into his pack order and stop trying to establish himself as alpha.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
food & toy aggression

Have you ever seen "The Dog Whisperer"? It is on the National Geographic Channel. Ceasar Malone works miracles with dogs his specialty is dogs that are fixing to be put down due to aggression issues what ever they may be. I saw a program once where there was a dog that would not release a toy and would draw blood if he tried to get it. He got bit several times but he did not give up, he always comes out the dominant one. When he takes the toy he gives the dog another toy in return and then he takes that toy and then leaves the favorite toy in front of the dog and every time the dog tries to get it he gets it first and makes a noise kind of like shhhh (any noise would do just a noise to recall this behavior by). The dog finally realizes that he is not alpha and gives up. I also saw a show where the dog is food aggressive and he goes in and slowly takes the bowl away and then stands in front of it not allowing the dog to eat no matter what and then finally the dog surrenders and then Ceasar would feed the dog by hand and keep his hand close to the dish making the dog know where the food comes from and showing that he is alpha not the dog. It says not to try this stuff at home but some of it looks like things you could do at home? I would difinately check it out. I have learned so much.

Also to all you newbies out there. I from day one when I get my pup I always put my hand in its dish and I never allow them to growl over it, if they growl I take the food away, I will also hand feed the dogs some to make sure they realize that the food is coming from me and can be taken away by me because I am alpha. I do this with toys as well. There is a certain age where you are supposed to stop playing tug of war with them also I think it is around 4 months? This is a stage where they start getting independent and just by playing this game with you they will think they are establishing alpha over you. I will try to find this article on theses stages of a puppy. I am not sure if I read it here or somewhere else? Anyone?

I hope this helps :wave:

here is one site I found that gives you a little info on stages I am still looking for the other one
http://ddfl.org/behavior/pupdev.htm

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Yoshismom has som good ides, any kind of agression is frightening and makes us feel like what did i do wrong to make her hate me.

but all agression stems from 2 things, fear and dominance. in this case it sounds like a dominance problem...
now youve been bitten, shes drawn blood so this needs stopping right now. if ever this happens again before even trying to grab for the item (this sudden movment ilicits a fight or flea responce and chis have a tendency to be missing the flea part of this responce and will stand their ground) tell her very clear in a low unhppy tone (add a little growl if you want to) "NO" move towards her ABOVE HER, do not get on her level as shell think your challengeing her rather than ordering her. (this is sometimes enough as they realize the huge being looming over them is actully much bigger than them and they will usually crouch however some dont) as you put your hand towards forbidden item you might still get the growling tell her to "leave it" and remove it from her mouth, by this point shell be so confused over this sudden show of dominance that shell either look at you like your crazy or shell snap at you, if she snapps DO NOT recoil, if you can move your hand quick enough get it away form the biting end and imediatly reach for the scruff of her neck. this is exaclty what an adult would do with an overrully pup. if you show fear, she has won, this is the best for you both. when you get the scruff of her neck she might continue to growl she might scream as if your hurting her or she might go limp. if she screams keep hold of her for a second take whatever it is with your free hand out of her mouth and then once item is removed let go give her a qiuck pet and a "good" and let her go sulk (or shell give you kisses as your ow most definatly the boss) if she goes limp (if she hanst already droped it) take it from her and imediatly let her go and tell her "good"
if she growls however take that good scruff on her neck and pull her down onto her side then roll her onto her back and no matter how much she struggles keep her there (usully during this they will have already dropped the item) keep her on her back untill she stopps growling and stopps struggling. as soon as she does talk to her in a soothing voice and say good before letting her up. then once letting her up say good again.

and there you have just shown her that YOU and You alone are incharge and nothing she does or says will change that, and you did it in a humane way that didnt hurt the dog, in exactly the same way pack mates in the wild would do it
you might have to do this once in a while if shes developed a slight dominance complaex and decides to try and push you again.
however keep on top of it by while playing happy with her if she gets even slighlty too rough tell her no if it doesnt stop imediatly roll her onto her back and keep her ther till the struggling stops...this way you are reasserting your dominance.
also when going through doors, make her wait for you to go first, when eating make sure you eat first, if she growls at you dont ever shrink away instead stadn or sit tall and strong shell soon realize your not afraid of her.
Remember in the wild a pack of wolves is ALWAYS testing eachothers dominance, fights only break out once in a while though because the other tests are all about body language. also if shes bad talk to her in a deep low almost growl like voice.

this has been the method thats worked best for me over the years, however its good to note ever trainer has different methods.

food agression since it was already touched on...remove the bowl completly at the first sighn of agression and feed from your hand so the dog realizes that you are incharge you are providing food and if they growl you will take food away. if they do well feeding from your hand give them back the bowl but sit right over it and make them sit and wait first. then say good and let them eat but stay right there, once in a while put your hand in the dish pick up some food look at it then put it back so they realize its realy yours but you are being nice and sharing it with them. food agression tends to stem from fear of the food being taken away so they have to protect their bowl and food and eat it quick...you might try once theyve finnished eating and show no interest in the dish, rather than pick it up right away, leave it there with the left over food for a little while...so doggy will see that she has no reason to be so defensive of her food.
if youd rather not put your hand in the bowl try sitting there and petting while the dog eats, if the dog growls food dish gets taken away and back to hand feeding.

these things take lots of time and patients, and unfortunatly its these dominance agression behaviours that send many a dog to the shelters to be euthanized because the dog is automatically labeld as agressive and noone wants an agressive dog. but if your willing to be top dog show no fear and have patients any agressive behaviours can be calmed and even stopped with time.

hope this helps

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, thanks for all the advice!

Cooper - she is not food aggressive at all! and she kinda just stood there didnt cower at all after wards.

when we are playing she is always very aggressive. when i am walking she is always trying to bite at my feet and is constantly growling. if we are playing with a toy she sometimes reaches for my hand to chew on. she tends to bite a lot when we are playing and everytime i roll her onto her back and tell her a stern NO and wait until she stops struggling. I like to hold her down for a little bit afterwards just so she gets the point. as soon as i let her up she start biting again. last night she bit me hard again so i told her NO and put her in her crate for a little bit. She was crying much louder than usual so i let her out and she had diahrea all over her pad. Its like she was screaming at me to let her out or she was gonna poo all over the crate! I am getting so frustrated with her, and i am afraid she is going to bite someone else and then we will have a HUGE problem...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts