Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so now that i got ashley i have found out that she doesnt like to sleep in her crate and wants to sleep in the bed with me well the problem being i cant sleep when shes in my bed and ive tried putting her in her crate at nite and she squeals and cries like someone is killing her what can i do?

·
Registered
155 Posts
LOL.. I think alot of us have been throught that.

You need to be tough :D Also covering the crate helps somewhat.
You need to be tough from the beginning because once she gets your number you have had it . She will learn she can cry and whimper and get let out so she will learn to do it all the time. usually you don't have to be tough too long :D A couple whiney nights is all it usually takes. It's really hard I know but a couple night well spent in the long run. Also don't keep peeping under the cover or it doesn't work :wink:

·
Registered
374 Posts
She will cry for the first couple times. It is normal. Try leaving her a piece of clothing you have already worn, like a t-shirt, and put it in her crate with her at night so she can have your scent with her. That worked for me. Just don't give in to her crying (I know it will be hard not to :p) because then she will never stop if she knows she will get her way. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Cuddles said:
You need to be tough :D Also covering the crate helps somewhat.
You need to be tough from the beginning because once she gets your number you have had it . She will learn she can cry and whimper and get let out so she will learn to do it all the time. usually you don't have to be tough too long :D A couple whiney nights is all it usually takes. It's really hard I know but a couple night well spent in the long run. Also don't keep peeping under the cover or it doesn't work :wink:
:D GREAT ADVICE! also, don't get frustrated or don't feel bad about it...I think pretty much ALL the chis here have done the same :D So, stick with it and she will learn for sure!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Excuse me, but my chi has NEVER done this! Totally kidding, oh my Lord, last night she did it, and she is almost 8 months old!! :shock:
Ya know what I did?? It was like 1 am and we were totally tired and all we could hear was her crying (she has a cozy bed w/blankets and 2 soft toys in there, she is just fine!!), so I took her crate and rolled it right into the bathroom and turned on the exhaust fan and she fell right to sleep and the I think the noise from the exhaust helped her drift off. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I couldn't imagine sleeping without my Bella, or the other dogs for that matter. Bella sleeps as close to me as she can get right up under the covers. You all have great advice though, I had to crate a dog I had a while back and listen to her whines for a few night before she finally got used to it. She had to be crated because she would go in the bed, ewe. Good luck Jeni :wave:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone wel we tried the crate last nite and she was so loud she sounded like a lil piggy and i had to get up early like everyone else in the house, so i ended up letting her in my bed ahhh so tonite shes going in her crate in another room maybe that will be easier or so i hope.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
you really need to stick too one thing because I know it breaks your heart to hear her cry but she will think that everytime she crys she will be got out.

I leave my 2 downstairs and they did cry for about 2 nights but they soon get used to a routiene if you stick to it - good luck and try not too let her out except for potty breaks and then put her back in - are you getting up to toilet her in the night ? as this might be why she is crying :wave: a puppy can only hold their bladder for the amount of months they are ie: if shes 8 weeks she should be able to go about 2 hours without needing potty

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok ill do that im really really concerned about her tho her papers said that she had been wormed and the vet thought she looked kinda small and earlier i saw something in her poop sorry the bluntness and i had my aunt look at it, shes had enough dogs to telll when its something bad and she said she has worms so im going to take her in asap if anyone can help me it would be great im really really freaking out. And if it is worms what will happen and what will the vet do ?

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Well, the vet will probably give her a pill and that will take care of it. If I remember right, she's 4 months old? Maybe the breeder hadn't wormed her in a while?

I don't want to gross anyone out but was the worm a spaghetti looking thing (roundworm) or a small squirmy little thing that looked like rice dried up (if you seen it dried up, that's tapeworm)? If it's tapeworm (the little squirmy kind) those are kinda hard to get rid of. You'd need to get flea treatments as well, tapeworm is typically spread by eating the fleas or eating feces that has it. It could also be a couple other types, but I think those are the most common. If she's four months old it's probably the tapeworm. Either way, the vet will surely take care of it. :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
great advice from kari - yes i agree the breeder probably hasnt wormed her and you will probably find she also has fleas, the vet will sort all these probs out for you :wave:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there the long white ones kinda look like rice and they wiggle for a few seconds then die, gosh that is so gross! And im leaving on saturday will this be taken care of before then ? or is this something that takes a while to clear up ?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
No, if you get her to the vet either they will give her a pill or you can give it to her. It's a 1 time thing.
But it can reaccure if you don't get rid of the fleas, or remove her from where the fleas are. And give her a bath, to make sure there arn't any on her.
Don't try giving her the junk you buy from the store, it doesn't work and can be harmful in some cases.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Yeah, that is tapeworm. They will give her a pill. That's what's great about vet's the stuff they got knocks it out pretty quick. Like Ms. P said, the stuff you get from the stores can be very harmful and doesn't work anyway. I think it's cheaper from the vet too because you don't have to buy the whole bottle just 1 pill. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
call me strange but is it safe to still hold her ect? and when i bathe her what am i looking for in her skin? Should i use hot water to kill whatever it is? lol can you tell im really freaking about this these worms are long and discusting!

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
About how long are they? Like a 1/2 an inch? If they are really long then, I'm not sure. Maybe another type of worm. I don't think tapeworms get really long, maybe if they are really old?

As for her skin, you don't really need to look for any of them. They are internal. But they can be on the outside around her 'opening'. It's o.k. to hold her, just make sure there are none on her, I'm sure you don't want them on you. :) When you bathe her just make sure it is all clean on her 'area'.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
You can still hold her. If you want you can check her bottom before you pick her up and wipe it off.

You usually only see them after your dog pottys or has been sleeping a while around the area where her poop comes out.

No need to use HOT water, just use warm, you don't want to burn her. The water and shampoo will drown the fleas.
Fleas are tiny bugs that crawl on her body. They can hop about 3 to 4 feet also.
Look on her back, starting from where her tail meets her body and push her hair toward her head. Do you see anything moving or that looks like dirt? The dirt is actually flea poop, but it means there are fleas present.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imkari said:
About how long are they? Like a 1/2 an inch? If they are really long then, I'm not sure. Maybe another type of worm. I don't think tapeworms get really long, maybe if they are really old?

As for her skin, you don't really need to look for any of them. They are internal. But they can be on the outside around her 'opening'. It's o.k. to hold her, just make sure there are none on her, I'm sure you don't want them on you. :) When you bathe her just make sure it is all clean on her 'area'.
a there about a half inch and like i said they're white and when they come out they squirm and die within a few seconds, i was doing some reading at the site said thats just a little part of a tapeworm grosss!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Take a poop sample with you to the vet, and if you can get a worm take that too.
Yuck LOL

1 - 20 of 38 Posts