Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gizzy is a 5 pound little guy and he has short hair! not even slightly long.

I don't understand why he is shedding so bad! I know he does a little bit but it seems to be a lot more than usually this year. Why is this?? does anyone else's shed??

I just brushed a baseball size of hair off of him!

Seriously don't remember this much hair!

·
Registered
150 Posts
first thought would be allergies? kira loses hair by the bucket load if there are fleas in the area.

second thought has weather been up and down lately? sometimes it can cause dogs to blow coat early.

third thought stress? can also cause shedding.

other then that maybe he just had a hairy year :) i know some chi's that don't shed at all, and then there's one chi at the rescue that turns me white no matter what time of year rolling around on my lap Lol and he's a smooth coat too lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What is he eating? Sometimes more fat is needed in the winter months for coat/skin. The air has been so dry and most of us have the heat cranked way up as well which is very drying.

Have you tried any skin/coat supplements like salmon oil?

I would give him a thorough warm bath and really brush through to get out all the loose hair. That should get rid of most of the dead coat.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
When we went from spring to summer Honey shed probably more hair then Gizzy did in one bath session! I couldn't believe it. She kept shedding for a few weeks but has stopped now. She didnt have any noticeable hair loss on her (no bald spots or thinning) so I wasn't to concerned. Does Gizzy have any bald spots or thinning areas?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is he eating? Sometimes more fat is needed in the winter months for coat/skin. The air has been so dry and most of us have the heat cranked way up as well which is very drying.

Have you tried any skin/coat supplements like salmon oil?

I would give him a thorough warm bath and really brush through to get out all the loose hair. That should get rid of most of the dead coat.
Well he is on a low protein diet food for his liver. It just happened this winter so maybe its just because of that?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When we went from spring to summer Honey shed probably more hair then Gizzy did in one bath session! I couldn't believe it. She kept shedding for a few weeks but has stopped now. She didnt have any noticeable hair loss on her (no bald spots or thinning) so I wasn't to concerned. Does Gizzy have any bald spots or thinning areas?
Nope no bald spots or thinning. It could be a number of things. Like his new diet. I didn't even think about that. Lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
My little boy sheds like mad. He's short hair, really soft/smooth coat, but it's a wonder he's not naked.He's on a prey model diet and gets a wild salmon supplement. Healthy as horse, but just sheds like crazy. Someone on another post recommended a furminator deshedding tool.....let me tell you, it has worked wonders. We've been using it for about a month now, and the difference is night and day.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Rico has a big shed a couple of time a year. He is a double coated SC--never a bold spot or thininng , I thnik it is his "under coat" that changes seasonally. I got a couple of rubber type of fur remover brushes to take off dead hair. He shed for a few weeks in autumn...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Smeagol started to shed a week ago. I just noticed when I gave him a bath. It never happened before. I don't think it was his diet because it hasn't changed. So I guess it's just the weather? Or something else? Not sure. But will give the furminator and salmon oil a try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts