Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so Bijoux is suddenly shedding a LOT. She is 9 month old now, and is spayed. So i'm not sure if she is 'blowing her coat' even though she's spayed. Or if it's just her regular adult coat that's finally come in.

chi peeps with long hair chi's, do they seasonally shed or are lint brushes going to be my best friend for life?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I would revive this topic since I haven't gotten an answer yet lol

Any long hair chi owners have a seasonally shedding chi?

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
"There are many things that influence hair growth and shedding. These include
genetics, nutrition, age, sex, the health status, the season of the year, and if it
is an intact animal - where it is in the normal hormonal ebb and flow."

"Excessive or absent sex hormones can cause changes in a normal coat. These
are not considered to be "blown coats".

"Sometimes extreme stress will trigger this sudden excessive shedding. Events
such as surgery, or just general anesthesia, will stimulate the synchronization of
the hair follicles to the telogen stage. This of course results in a blown coat.
Just like the reproductive causes, it usually happens 1 to 3 months after the
event, and a new coat will grow in within 2 to 4 months after shedding. Sudden
severe illness and fever, or shock, can have the same affect."

I quoted for you the parts I find may help answer your question, if you want to read the whole article it's right here.
Why Dogs Blow Coat

But basically it can be caused by a variety of things.
Keep in mind that some longcoats do blow coat seasonally.
Bijoux is still growing though and her coat will probably not be complete until about 2 years.
So I don't think you have much to worry about, hopefully it is just a temporary state. :)

·
Banned
177 Posts
Spayed bitches still shed their coats once a year normally between summer and autumn. It's not as bad as an intact bitch. Using a zoom groom daily seems to do the job in these periods. Mine don't shed the rest of the time, one is spayed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts