Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chi, Bella who is now a little over 4 months will not stop eating everything. She will eat a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g she can get her paws on. I try to keep everything away from her but somehow she always manages to find stuff. She'll eat paper, bugs, basically anything in view, kleenex, poop (she loves to eat poop!) and today I caught her eating one of my bird's feathers and card stock paper. When I take her outside, she won't even use the restroom because she's too busy looking for something bad to eat. Yesterday she ate a roach. She's very hyper and hard to keep up with..... she's running around scalvenging for something right now as i'm typing. She'll eat my other dog's poop too! I dont' know how to get her to stop eating gross stuff. I feed her and she'll scarf her food down but then immediately goes to look for something else. The vet told me she has a lot of bacteria in her poop.... im assuming because she keeps eating bad things. What can I do to stop her?

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
I know what you mean. My babies get into stuff too. They like to eat dead leaves and mulch :rolleyes: I would stock up on some yummy chewies like pig ears, or dingos or something to try and keep her from being bored and scavenging. Also maybe feeding her smaller portions multiple times a day rather than one big meal. Goodluck!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Oh yeah, Boop, 7 months, does that too. So far she hasn't eaten her own poop, but I've taken away hairballs left by the neighbor's cat. She loves bugs, especially hunting them down. She's been nibbling something new recently, not sure what, but they may be squirrel droppings. Dogs can be gross.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
She's bored.
You should start training her and more importatly take her for nice walks to get her tired. Don't let her stop to sniff anything until near the end when you decide it's time. Teach her the "leave it" command, it's very important incase she gets something that could be dangerous to her.
You need to direct her attention to things she can chew on, and that means watching her. If you can't watch her then put her somewhere you know is safe for her.
Owning a dog can be lots of work, patience and consistancy are the key.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hehe :)
My boy went to the same stage from 7 weeks to 5 month, then it’s just stopped.
He still always stealing things but it’s not that bad as it was before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts