Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever shipped a Chihuahua? Is it safe and would you recommend it?

Here is my situation. I live in Minnesota and with the cold winters I really want to migrate for the winters. Well at least for Jan and Feb, the rest I think me and little Vida will be OK making do.

Vida is NOT at all social and barks when strangers are around so bringing her into a plane cabin does not seem like a good idea, plus I kinda have a fear of flying so maybe Amtrak or driving could be an option, instead of trying to ship her while I take a bus south.

Looking for a good cost effective way to travel, but is still affordable. Any advice would be much appreciated! Originally thinking of going down to Arizona but I'd settle for a cool winter in Texas or better yet south florida. :coolwink:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I live in AZ and it isn't too cold (have 4 Chi's and they do fine every year)
I've never traveled with my dogs.
I think driving would be better because then you can have her with you at all times but it's definitely longer.
But I'm not sure if a dog has to be well socialized to have her with you on the plane. I'm sure she's small and you could just have her in a carrier on your lap. But I personally have fear of flying in airplanes. I'm sure someone else will have better advice.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have taken a dog on a plane, in the cabin, before. It is a very stressful thing for a dog to go through, even in the cabin. The dog I took was the most mellow soul ever and even she was stressed a bit by it. So, if you have a dog who is normally stressed out it might not be a good idea. Perhaps driving would be the best option.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I have driven 1000 miles from Chicago to N.H. with dogs may times. I take 3 days though. Dogs are in crates for their protection. I stop every 2 hours. They did fine. I have also flown with my chi's. They had the carriers from the airlines, and I had them for a couple of weeks before the flight, and they got used to them before the day I left. No one knew they were there! They were under the seat, as the airline (southwest) does not let you have them on your lap. Good luck on the warm winter! Wish I could do that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts