Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the other night i was holding Myami and playing with her feet only to notice on every foot her 2 middle paw pads are joined :nshocked2: her toes are also webbed between the 2 , it doesn't effect her in any way and i love her all the same :) , but thought that it was to unique not to share :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
How odd :confused: Ive never seen that before. Mia has 4 dew claws and a breeder once told me that it was an inbred trait. I hope that isnt the case with Myami.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How odd :confused: Ive never seen that before. Mia has 4 dew claws and a breeder once told me that it was an inbred trait. I hope that isnt the case with Myami.
By 4 dew claws what do you mean ? , both Myamis parents come from seperate breeders so i would assume inbreeding isn't the case :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've seen that on a lot of dogs in the vet clinic where I worked. Not terribly uncommon and I never saw it result in any issues.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
By 4 dew claws what do you mean ? , both Myamis parents come from seperate breeders so i would assume inbreeding isn't the case :)
She has an extra toe on each paw. Usually a dog will only have them on the front 2 but Mia also has them on the back paws. Makes for trimming them awful as they are hard to reach with a dremmel. 3 of my dogs dont have any dew claws so Im assuming the breeders had them removed after they were born.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She has an extra toe on each paw. Usually a dog will only have them on the front 2 but Mia also has them on the back paws. Makes for trimming them awful as they are hard to reach with a dremmel. 3 of my dogs dont have any dew claws so Im assuming the breeders had them removed after they were born.
ah i get you now :) , have never seen that on a chi before but have noticed alot of rotties seem to have them
how funny bless her, our cat has got extra claws she looks like she is wearing mittens.
that sounds so cute

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen that on a lot of dogs in the vet clinic where I worked. Not terribly uncommon and I never saw it result in any issues.
have never seen it before :) , all research i could find about it all only have it on the one paw not all ?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I wanted to comment on the rear-dew claws indicating in-breeding :) ...

This is actually a myth---I am not sure where it came from, but I have heard it more than once, that rear dew claws indicate in-breeding. Based on research and talking to some people that have been in chihuahuas for a long time, as well as a few vets, it seems that it points back to older, more "original" chihuahua breeding stock. The rear dew claws can hide for generations and generations and surface here or there. But it usually means the dog has some of the original breed behind it. Of course all chihuahuas do, but some have been so far removed you don't see things like rear dew claws pop up much...BUT all they mean, if you see them, is just a throwback to old breeding stock :)

That said, it sure is a B*TCH to deal w/ those rear dew claws...Bryco has them, as do a few other chis I know around here--when B gets a bit older and is done showing and I have to get him a dental (maybe I won't, but if I do??), I will soooo have those suckers removed.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wanted to comment on the rear-dew claws indicating in-breeding :) ...

This is actually a myth---I am not sure where it came from, but I have heard it more than once, that rear dew claws indicate in-breeding. Based on research and talking to some people that have been in chihuahuas for a long time, as well as a few vets, it seems that it points back to older, more "original" chihuahua breeding stock. The rear dew claws can hide for generations and generations and surface here or there. But it usually means the dog has some of the original breed behind it. Of course all chihuahuas do, but some have been so far removed you don't see things like rear dew claws pop up much...BUT all they mean, if you see them, is just a throwback to old breeding stock :)

That said, it sure is a B*TCH to deal w/ those rear dew claws...Bryco has them, as do a few other chis I know around here--when B gets a bit older and is done showing and I have to get him a dental (maybe I won't, but if I do??), I will soooo have those suckers removed.
That would make sense considering its always the same breeds i see with them , although i haven't seen a chi with them there is not a lot of chi's around my area so that is probably why , i would say 4 out of 10 rotties i see have them .

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have also heard that it is a myth.

Our Sheltie had double dew claws. We had them removed when he was neutered as they were catching on things.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts