Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Penny in to get her 3rd Dhpp shot almost 3 weeks ago. The vet tech then told me that she would need another shot because her first was done too early. No one had said anything about it before, so I was confused and asked her to explain it again. She said they like to finish the shot series at 16 weeks, and Penny was 14 weeks at the time. She had her first shot at 8 weeks. Does she really need a 4th shot? I am not worried about the extra money, but I don't want her to get another vaccine if she does not need it.

I was also told that they will do her rabies at the time of her spay. Well, I read on here not to give a rabies shot at the same time. I don't want to put her through too much, so should I just insist they give her the rabies shot a few weeks before the spay?

The same vet also told me not to feed Orijen because it is too high in protein, and that my dogs need to be on year round flea prevention even though they don't get fleas. I told her I respectfully disagreed on both things. From what I have read online, the high protein thing is a myth, and both of my dogs do great on Orijen.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
16 weeks is the time to give the last shot. Usually it's given at 8, 12 and 16 weeks. And all mine (9 of them) got their rabies at the same time they got fixed except Twiggy and Tico because they haven't been fixed yet but I wanted them to have the rabies shot so I could take them in to get their nails clipped at the groomers.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Hope's were given perfectly by all of the schedules I have seen. Ruby got her first a week sooner than most schedules and then it threw them all early. She got her last one at 14 weeks. My vet asked to do another since he prefers the last at 16 weeks. I declined. She is the healthiest pup I know.

Some vets make rabies shots a prerequisite to having their spay. I am glad that mine did not. They wanted to do it at spay. I declined. They just got them a few weeks ago. I wanted 6-8 weeks to pass after spay.

I am doing heartworm medicine but not flea and tick. Also, since we have in-home care rather than boarding, I am not doing bordatella.

No offense to your doctor, but you are correct on food that you are feeding.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hope's were given perfectly by all of the schedules I have seen. Ruby got her first a week sooner than most schedules and then it threw them all early. She got her last one at 14 weeks. My vet asked to do another since he prefers the last at 16 weeks. I declined. She is the healthiest pup I know.

Some vets make rabies shots a prerequisite to having their spay. I am glad that mine did not. They wanted to do it at spay. I declined. They just got them a few weeks ago. I wanted 6-8 weeks to pass after spay.

I am doing heartworm medicine but not flea and tick. Also, since we have in-home care rather than boarding, I am not doing bordatella.

No offense to your doctor, but you are correct on food that you are feeding.
Unfortunately our spay clinic requires rabies at the time of spay. I guess I will just have it done a bit early, because I don't want it done at the same time. I don't have either of mine on heartworm meds currently, but I plan on starting them when Lion goes in for his next check up. I am lucky that fleas aren't really a problem in our area, so they don't need flea prevention.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts