Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I would say you can take him in now for the last one, and def have it be THE LAST one, is he 16 weeks old? I can't tell from those stupid pitapata things. Since he had a reaction before, re-vaccinating is definitely dangerous...I would pre-treat for 2 days w/ benadryl and for 2 days after, but that's just me.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the doctor said he was going to give him a cortisone shot before the shot to hopefully prevent it from happening again. The last time he gave him the cortisone shot and another shot after he had the reaction. I do trust him he's a very well liked vet in our town but yes i am nervous. But i would be afraid if he didn't have all his shots and there are some places that I couldn't take him unless I had his shot record and all current.
How much benadryl for him? and is this just normal adult strength?
He was 15 weeks old on saturday!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I use the dye-free, children's liquid benadryl from walgreens that is bubblegum flavored. The dosage is 1 mg per pound of dog, so if Finn is 2.5 lbs, his dosage would be 2.5 mg. The liquid suspension is 12 mg per 5 cc/ml's, so 1 ml/cc would be the approximate correct dosage for Finn. You can safely double that dose, to 2 cc's if you want.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I personally would want the last shot to be given after 16 weeks, but that's just me. I would also do ONLY parvo/distemper. None of that other stuff. It's not needed. I would also premedicate with benadryl before and after the shot.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I agree that I'd wait til 16 weeks. Then you can know for SURE he's covered, and if they try to talk you into another shot tell them to shove it up their butts. You premedicate with benadryl 2x a day, AM/PM. I obviously don't know what Finn weighs so if you need exact dosage for him then tell us what he weighs.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They won't try to talk me into any more. They only give 3 sets and this will be the 3rd. THey aren't pushy at all over there! Winston hasn't been in years and they never even mention him needing anything. I have a regular digital scale (haven't got a food one yet) and weighed us then me, looks like he's 3 lbs on the dot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts