Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I was just wondering if it would be wise to crate train a Chi puppy. I was reading the info on a breeder's site and she said they shouldn't be crate trained when young because of their limited bladder control. She said it's better to use an ex-pen and paper train first. My only problem is, I really don't have the space for an ex-pen. What should I do? Should I put my pup in the crate then take her out every 1-2 hours? What did you guys do with your young puppies? :?:

·
Registered
277 Posts
We crate trained all three of our dogs and 1 is still a puppy. Even at 10 weeks of age, he refused to potty in his crate and can hold it all night. We started the 2 older boys in an xpen with potty pads and then they decided it was fun to shred their potty pads, so we switched them to crates and never had any potty accidents with them unless 1 was sick. We swear by crate training and the boys love their crates and will go to them without you even asking them to.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks for the reply. Did they all sleep through the night? :shock: I think I might lose some sleep... :roll:

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I bought Peanut I didnt want to crate train him but the Vet told me I should, she said that if I dont do it and let him sleep with me he would eventually become very possesive and think he is the "boss". At first he had trouble and he would have accidents, but now he is used to waiting. If you dont have the time to take him outside every 2-3 hours, I think he will still eventually learn. :)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I was going to crate train Gadget but I got him when he was only 3 weeks and He was so small I had him in a box for a while he started using the one side of the box for pottying and the other side was his bed. Then I got a little bed for him and turned the box into a potty box. I had to feed him every couple hours so I made a place right next to my side of the bed and he slept there and with me. he got out of his bed one day and was on the floor so I put his bed in a laundry basket and he couldn't get out and get cold. Then when he was about 6 weeks I made a pin out of those little cubicle shelf things. and he has his bed, food water dishes and his potty pad in there and he sleeps in there when he wants to usaually he will sleep there for a few hours a night. Last night he snuggled down with me and he didn't wake up until he had to potty and Then he wanted back up with me... I really like sleeping with him... he is a good snuggler.

I do have a duffel bag type carrier for him and it is in the livingroom open so he can go in it anytime he wants to. his food/ water dish is right there and his potty pad is there. He actually started potty training himself in his little box when he was just 3 weeks old...

Now at 3 months he is real good about going potty like a big boy... but every so often he will have an accident...

Gadget is spoiled.. he is my baby and he is really learning what is good to do and what is bad to do...

good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We crate trained Chili and he did well. He now is well enough housebroken that he has free run of the house except when we are not here. When we cannot be home with him, we crate him, not just to keep him from peeing or pooing on the floor, but to keep him safe. He will even go into his crate on his own sometimes just to nap. The first night or 3 you might lose some sleep, as the puppy will be lonely, but you can minimize the issue by giving them something to snuggle like a stuffed animal and plenty of warm blankies and also by not responding when they whimper. I know that sounds mean, but it isn't -- it helps the puppy to learn to comfort him or herself. Good luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts