Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Newbie, as they say, here. Started on another 'dog forum' 6 months ago, when my baby Princess Fiona (FiFi) (Chi mix?) came into my life. BIG BIG mistake.
Found this board and I can already see it has a much friendlier attitude. I think I'll be happier here.
I came looking for information about heat cycling, spay/no spay, and small dogs and found exactly what I was looking for.

I also found people who seem to understand how much these little guys get under your skin. I haven't had a dog in 35 years. I was a single mom, raising two boys on my own, working 60 -70 hr weeks. Did not have the time a dog deserved. I'm retired now and have been granddog sitting for a few years my son's dogs when I sit the kids. Mentioned I would like to have a puppy. They got one for me for my birthday about 6 months ago.

She was way too young at 5 1/2 weeks but I felt I was better off with her than some family with little kids and obviously the people selling the pups didn't care where the pups went. Since the first tiny kiss to my cheek I've been a gonner and have proceeded to deliberatly spoil her but not in a bad way. She walks on all fours at all times, she's not fat, she is a princess with manners if you know what I mean.

I was going to have her spayed in Dec at 6 months of age before her first cycle but got into a bad accident and missed the appointment. I've spent the last 2 months in recovery at my son's with her brother (in tact). We're having fun right now, because she is in the middle of her first cycle. NO we do not want puppies, for obvious reasons. Now, he seems to have Beagle or Basset Hound throw back genes because he HOWLS........and Howls......The Force is strong in this boy. She couldn't care less. Her discharge cycle was very long. 17 days. And yes she was cranky a good deal of it. Unfortunately I could not fine Midol for dogs!!!! It's been Almost 3 weeks since this cycle started and she is still NOT flagging or interested in him at all. Now him.......that's another story. My problem is........How do I know when it's over? When can I let the two of them back in the same room (stopping the howling) and not worry. I'm thinking maybe Feb. I go home Feb 8 leaving him here. That may be the only solution. Of course you may find all of use in the local institution for the insane from the howling, but we won't have puppies.

Seriously, if anyone has insight, It would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marie

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
The end is in sight! If she has been in 'heat' 3 weeks she should be about done. Some dogs in their first heat don't bleed as much as they do with successive cycles. Unfortunately, the male still smells her has being receptive; thus the howling. After another week, I'd bathe her. That might not make a difference to the male, as he still smells the hormones in the house. As soon as you leave, he'll quit!!

So sorry about your accident.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts