Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know Daisy cant be spayed yet as i was advised to wait by my vet after the complications with her c section from before i got her.
Well Dillon is just over 3 months, and is already showing interest in her.
I keep them apart even at bedtime now, Daisy is in the crate, and he and Darla are in the bed with me.
I take him with me whenever i leave the room too.
He does try to hump Darla too mind you at times, or blankets.

Tonight though i had all 3 on the sofa and i walking over to get them a chew bone and i saw him on her back and she was growling!!
She does growl at him anyhow, but sill.
Oh man it was a split 2nd but could this mean trouble?
I have to gather them all up in the evenings to keep them quiet cause of moany neighbours, and now this happens.
I have read he hasnt reached maturity so it is very ulikely that anything has happened, but am just a worrier.
The sooner i can have him neutered the better!!

My own vet said he prefers to do it when they are closer to 12 months cause they get to keep their bravado or something, but no way am i waiting till then!!
Even though i explained the situation with Daisy, he seems to always forget about her.
I will be taking him to the vet that did Darla's spay anyway, cause my own vet doesnt do these ops anymore due to a stroke.
So it really isnt up to him when Dillon can get neutered.
Daisy will be going for her spay in the either end of this year or Jan at the latest.

Anyway, am so mad at myself for not carrying her with me to get the bones now!:(
Hopefully am just bein daft, but i dont like to take any chances.
Please help set my mind at ease here, cause Daisy cannot have puppies again.
I would have had her spayed from day one, but she wasnt mine.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
At 3 mos, I don't think he can be sexually mature. Humping is pretty normal and that is just a dominance rooted thing.
If they actually mated you would see them "tied" or stuck together for a bit afterwards, it is fairly not mistakable so my vote is you are hunky dory.

However I would look into getting him done asap, I think they can do the boys quite early on.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brooke.
I think perhaps he wasnt able to even reach, lol but still a worry.
How early can the boys be done?
I heard the earliest is 5 months, but depends on the vet too.
Not sure how early this other guy would do it.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I was told 4-5 mos as well.
You have to find a vet thats willing however, In Montreal my old vet would not touch them before 7 mos.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Is daisy in heat??? She will snap at him if she doesn't want to be mates

Honestly I wouldn't worry speak to your vet 3 months he's still a baby wouldn't produce sperm yet also just to put your mind at rest you can get a mis mate jab which is the morning after pill for dogs!!

Honestly I wouldn't worry

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, i didnt really think so deep down, but i worry so much about this now.

Sarah, no Daisy isnt in heat right now.
I will just feel so much better when Dillon can be neutered. xx

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah when i think of it, it was too quick for anything to happen, and they def were not stuck. lol
I think it just scared me to see him doing the movement. ha!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Ok well firstly she won't let anyone penetrate her of she's not ready and she can't get pregnant If she's not in heat?? Try do a contraceptive injection for boys not sure about girls but u could ask

I think Dillon is testing his place in the pack we are going through the same lotus was mean to daisy tosay

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are prob right Sarah, cause Daisy doesnt really play at all and when Dillon tries she growls at him, so he plays with Darla instead.
Maybe he is trying to be boss over her.

I will just make sure he never gets a chance again. lol
He is defo getting his op as soon as pos though, bless him.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I would try to get him neutered at 5 months or so. She will eventually go into heat. I've heard stories of dogs tying through a crate (one inside, the other outside) so I wouldn't count on crates for birth control. Also, her hormones when in heat will probably drive him nuts once he gets older.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
If she isn't in heat, I would be almost certain that they didn't mate. You would have found them tied. Not to mention the female won't accept the male if she isn't in heat. So I think you are 100% safe. It was probably just a dominance thing going on. Chance used to hump the girls before he was neutered. They'd go through their lil routine. Hump, girls growl, Chance would go back into submission. :lol: Also, at his age, other than trying to get his Mojo going, that’s going to be about it. :lol:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Bless u Hun I don't blame you it's sensible!!! Some people don't realise what can happen especially when they have bigger dogs if they're intact it's by by chihuahua

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Thanks Brooke.
I think perhaps he wasnt able to even reach, lol but still a worry.
How early can the boys be done?
I heard the earliest is 5 months, but depends on the vet too.
Not sure how early this other guy would do it.
I had Chico neutered at 5months... Vet said as long as she can feel 'them' she can operate.... and also said if I waited longer the Testostrone levles rise and then you get marking behavior.... don't know if that last is true or not but Chico doesn't mark AT ALL, squats like a girl and I like it that way :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Our vet will neuter at 5 1/2mo. He won't be able to produce sperm until 6-7 months at the earliest. I don't blame you for being worried but I would definitely be getting him done as soon as he reached 5 1/2-6mo so you do'nt have to worry any further. I'd relax a bit though. Unless she's in heat the humping usually only signifies dominance (unless he's getting a shot of testosterone early which is possible & harmless). Silly Dillon boy!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I had Chico neutered at 5months... Vet said as long as she can feel 'them' she can operate.... and also said if I waited longer the Testostrone levles rise and then you get marking behavior.... don't know if that last is true or not but Chico doesn't mark AT ALL, squats like a girl and I like it that way :)
i get my boys done early for that reason also :) , it works like a charm .

alot of vets will desex early as long as you can feel his testicals have come down :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts