Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just spoken to my breeder again and Sugars ears still are not fully up, one is but the other is still floppy. She is now 7 and a half weeks so i thought they should be up by now. Should i be worried or do you think they will be up by the time i get her at 12weeks old?
I just know i only have the money for one chihuahua which will prob be the case for me for the next few years, so i want to get the right one. Im also stretching my budget for this pup (which the hubby isnt awfuly impressed with lol) so really want to kno im getting a good pup.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Are you planning on showing her? If not, it doesn't really matter if her ears are up. Sometimes their ears go up and down when they are teething. When I got Penny, her ears were down :

They are up now:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ive just spoken to my breeder again and Sugars ears still are not fully up, one is but the other is still floppy. She is now 7 and a half weeks so i thought they should be up by now. Should i be worried or do you think they will be up by the time i get her at 12weeks old?
I just know i only have the money for one chihuahua which will prob be the case for me for the next few years, so i want to get the right one. Im also stretching my budget for this pup (which the hubby isnt awfuly impressed with lol) so really want to kno im getting a good pup.
Why would she be the "wrong one" if her ears never fully stood up? :confused: Do you intend to show or breed her or something? This is just me, but I've always cared more about the personality than the conformation. I actually thought Teddy was the LEAST cute puppy that I had to pick from, but he had my heart from the first minute I met him because he is just such a sweetheart.
:love7:

As long as she's healthy and her personality is a good fit for you, then I say get her. I would try not to worry so much about her look--no one is going to care if her ears are floppy, and in fact I think many people find it to be an incredibly adorable feature! That's just my opinion, though. ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply:)
No she will be purely my pet but I just want to know im getting wat im paying for. Im hoping by the next time I go to see her they will be up.

I just know that if they didnt go up at all, although i wud still love her and all, i wud end up wanting another chihuahua and i cant afford any more!

Hopefuly they will be up by the next time i see her anyway!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks for your reply:)
No she will be purely my pet but I just want to know im getting wat im paying for. Im hoping by the next time I go to see her they will be up.

I just know that if they didnt go up at all, although i wud still love her and all, i wud end up wanting another chihuahua and i cant afford any more!

Hopefuly they will be up by the next time i see her anyway!
We all have different priorities. If you know that her look really matters to you, then I guess you really should get what you're paying for the first time around. But to put things in perspective, I think that a dog with a compatible personality is a LOT harder to find than a cute Chi with fully erect ears.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would she be the "wrong one" if her ears never fully stood up? :confused: Do you intend to show or breed her or something? This is just me, but I've always cared more about the personality than the conformation. I actually thought Teddy was the LEAST cute puppy that I had to pick from, but he had my heart from the first minute I met him because he is just such a sweetheart.
:love7:

As long as she's healthy and her personality is a good fit for you, then I say get her. I would try not to worry so much about her look--no one is going to care if her ears are floppy, and in fact I think many people find it to be an incredibly adorable feature! That's just my opinion, though. ;)
Because Im paying a lot of money for a pedigree. If i just wanted a dog with a nice personality i could get one a lot cheaper, but i want a pedigree chihuahua, do u know wat i mean?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Because Im paying a lot of money for a pedigree. If i just wanted a dog with a nice personality i could get one a lot cheaper, but i want a pedigree chihuahua, do u know wat i mean?
Yeah I understand what you mean. Looks and pedigrees have just never mattered much to me. I only got Teddy from a breeder because my second dog HAD to be a male puppy and I couldn't find any in a rescue that wouldn't adopt out to people who weren't local. I could have waited, but I didn't, and my mom and boyfriend at the time bought Teddy for me for my 20th birthday.

I actually did pay to have Teddy registered with AKC but I'm not even sure why I did it. It's completely pointless for me since I'll never show him and he's already neutered. I guess I just wanted to see his family history on the piece of paper.. :rolleyes:

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
True, but many "Pedigree" chihuahuas are not to standard. Even if you are getting her from a show breeder, there is no guarantee her ears stand up. If you want your puppy's ears to be standing up for sure, maybe you should consider getting an older puppy who has already been through teething.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We all have different priorities. If you know that her look really matters to you, then I guess you really should get what you're paying for the first time around. But to put things in perspective, I think that a dog with a compatible personality is a LOT harder to find than a cute Chi with fully erect ears.
I think ur making me sound bad. Obviously i want a dog with a good personality too, looks are not all i care about. But I do also want my dog to look like the breed its meant to be which i dont think is a bad thing.

All im asking is, is it normal enough for ears not to be up yet at her age, thats all, im not looking to be jugded for asking.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think ur making me sound bad. Obviously i want a dog with a good personality too, looks are not all i care about. But I do also want my dog to look like the breed its meant to be which i dont think is a bad thing.

All im asking is, is it normal enough for ears not to be up yet at her age, thats all, im not looking to be jugded for asking.
Sorry! :( I'm not meaning to make you sound bad or judge you! You're allowed to want what you want and you don't need to justify it to anyone.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts

Yes, it is normal for her ears not to be up. They will probably go up in a few weeks, but there is no way to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It took Lady six months before her ears were up...she had gelatin on her food and I rubbed her ears...to this day, she still enjoys an ear rub...and she'll be fourteen New Year's Day...at a minute past midnight...LOL

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Sometimes it can take a while for ears to stand up.
As far as pedigrees; please keep in mind that all it really is is a "family tree." Unless the pups in the pedigree have a good amount of Champions in the most recent generation; a pedigree can't really tell you if you have a good quality standard dog or not. Thats kinda the problem with so many of these new fake 'breed registry' sites. Only a few of them actually have shows where your dog competes to prove it is "to breed standard." The rest are just there so they can charge you for a piece of paper of no value. And unfortunately just because your dog HAS a pedigree registered WITH the AKC or other legitimate registery; doesn't automatically mean it is to standard either. Just wanted to point that out; I see lots of breeders claiming a dog has "papers" when often they don't mean anything and trying to sell it for more money. So just keep that in mind; if you get a chance to actually look through the pedigree first you can do some research on them; to find out if the parents and grandparents were actually proven champions (i.e. "to standard.")That'll be your best bet if you truly want to find a dog that is closest to the correct standard; everyone has a right to want what they want! And you also have the right not to be ripped off too; so don't be afraid to ask who the parents are; a reputable breeder will have no problem showing it off if it's something to be proud of!

·
Registered
204 Posts
7 1/2 weeks ears are not always up, I think it's very normal. I picked up my Bonnie at 8 weeks old, her ears are both down looks like a lab pup more than anything else. But 2 days after I picked her up, her ear stood up on her own and never go back down. So please don't worry, when the time is right, sure your pup ears will be up. I think I read some of the members on here saying their pup ears are not up until there are 16 weeks old too.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok thanks,i wont worry then. I am going to see her again next week so ill know better then.

Thanks for ur replys.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to those last few replys thats really helpful. I have seen her parents but i will ask about her grandparents etc wen im there next week and ask to look at her papers. Thats just it, i dont want to be ripped off! Cos to be honest my hubby would kill me if he found out we paid all that money and didnt get wat i wanted.
And its great to hear of other pups ears standing up at 8 weeks or later, thank u x

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
No prob; and good luck! If you get a chance to peek at the ped; what you're looking for is some sort of Title before the names; usually abbreviated like "AMCH" or "INTCH" to mark that they're CH (Champions) meaning they have competed against other Chihuahuas and have earned the status of being to standard. There are other titles too other than Conformation, but I don't know may working or tracking chihuahuas LOL.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks to those last few replys thats really helpful. I have seen her parents but i will ask about her grandparents etc wen im there next week and ask to look at her papers. Thats just it, i dont want to be ripped off! Cos to be honest my hubby would kill me if he found out we paid all that money and didnt get wat i wanted.
And its great to hear of other pups ears standing up at 8 weeks or later, thank u x

If you do a search on the forum, there are a lot of threads about the ears. You would be surprised how many people have their "pedigree" Chi ears not standing up until they are a lot older. There is also a member to suggest how to get the ears stand up too. Whether you want to go onto that route, it's up to you. But don't worry too much at this age. If both parents ears are up, the pup ears should have the chances to stand up up eventually.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I dont blame you for wanting what you want. I would not want to pay a high price for droopy ears. The breeder should have no problem giving you the pedigree. This is the reason I am looking for a grown chi, I know what I want her to look like and Im lookin. I have foster chi's that I love, they needed a home and I gave them one. They are precious. But for that one special lil girl, Im particular.

pam in TX

1 - 20 of 51 Posts