Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lily, my chi / terrier mix puppy is about 15 weeks old (5lbs) I've had her for about two months and I've been feeding her Wellness puppy for small breeds and she seems to be doing well on it. Her poops are firm, not too smelly but she does get gas...

I just got Olive my chi baby last week, she is also 15 weeks old (3lbs) I do not know what she was being feed so I suspected she might have digestive problems at first. She's been dewormed and had her first set of shots. She is still having soft stool problems. Rarely she'll have a normal, firm poop but she almost always has very soft stool.

Is Wellness maybe too rich for her? I just bought a big bag of blue buffalo puppy food ( it was on sale and I couldn't pass it up for the price) should I switch them to this?? If so should I do it over time by mixing it with the wellness?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I have no idea as i live in Uk so never heard of these foods,but when you change foods you have to do it very slowly,just add the tiniest amount then increase it,i do it over a week or two

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think the Blue Buffalo food is richer than the Wellness. Try just a few as treats and see what happens. If nothing, then increase slowly. Take at least a week to transfer the dogs to the new food. Have you had Olive's stool tested?? Sue

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well you can always try something like the Honest Kitchen (it ends up looking like mushy baby food) but my Chi LOVES it when she does get it for dinner. Another option is you try the raw diet (which I'm all for!). Another few brands that my pet food store recommends (they are VERY picky about foods they will even sell, they look at sugar content and fillers!), Wysong, K9 Natural, Canisource, addiction, Nature's logic. But if your pup is still having issues, you can also try giving it some canned pumpkin as that is know to help with digestion.
But of course if the problem persists or if you see blood, go see your vet!

Hope it settles it self soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts