Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In california it is very typical that apartments always has a large population of wondering cats on and around the apartment grounds. Well we recently moved back in aug from a house into an apartment and tiny and penny has eatin cat poos multiple times in the past 5 weeks. The reason is these cats poop in the grass and in the woodchips, and no one picks it up so it just ends up sitting there. I always supervise tiny and penny during potty breaks and i now have tiny on a leash, as for penny she will not pee or poo if she's on a leash and will walk in circles around me thinking that if she tries to walk away the leash will leave her alone (we're working on that right now). So penny goes with out a leash but she listens to me and can be redirected easily. I was wondering if i should deworm them immediatley because it seems sensible to do so because these cats probably and do have parasites and worms!

Im quite frustrated and scared right now that if my dogs keep eating cat poo theyre gonna become deathly ill cuz these cats may be sick from disease or parvo (idk wat illnesses they can have).

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Don't know how true it is, but vets say a cat can't transfer worms to a dog. In other words, dogs can't get worms from cats. If you worm once a year, you should be ok. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. There are signs when they have worms, like dragging their butts on the floor & seeing certain types in the feces.

·
Registered
787 Posts
While dogs and cats can't infect each other with viruses or most bacteria, they can exchange parasites, so your dogs could potentially pick up a worm by eating cat poop. I would talk to your vet about changing your monthly heartworm or flea treatments, as there are some available now that prevent a variety of other parasites as well that their "target" one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts