Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started Sonny at a vet that my best friend is a vet tech at. He has stayed there and done all of his puppy shots already...
Both my boyfriend and I are not quite happy there...we don't think the vet really likes small dogs, little less has a lot of experience with the breed.
I've seen other chis there before, but there were a lot bigger than Sonny, and when we bring him in for shots, she always says stuff like calling him a rat, and saying he's not a real dog....
We hear stuff like that a lot, but we don't want to hear our vet making fun of our dog every time we go in there..
I don't want to offend my friend, but its not her I have to think of. I want the best vet for Sonny...should we start "shopping around" for a new vet?
I just want a vet that knows chis...
Some people may remember a post i had last month where my friend who is the vet tech there tried to tell me Sonny's molera (soft spot) was a birth defect! And the vet always made a deal about it not closing yet...
Hello! It is in the AKC standards! (it says with or without molera)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Minnesota...
There is one vet my mom used to bring our toy poodle to...
it was a small animal and bird hospital...i remember when i was little i had a dwarf hamster with a broken leg and she put a cast on it! and it healed!
anyways, i am going to check out that vet and there was another vet just over the border in wisconsin that we know a breeder in the area brings all their chis to...
so I think we will do something close to an interview...i know that sounds funny, but could I make an appointment just to bring Sonny in and meet the vet??

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
UGHHH!! The NERVE!! Definately take your furbaby elsewhere!! If she cannot appreciate him then why should you pay her money? The vets I go to love Gizzie...even the one he hates..LOL

But because she hurt him (i know she didn't mean too) during his shots I decided to stick with the other vet, she handles him beautifully...some vets don't have much expirience with tiny babies.

And calling him a rat, I would have said "you look like a rat" (no just kidding..LOL) I had a guy at a petstore say "Look its a rat with a coat" My husband turns around and said to him "You want to repeat what you said again" LOL....now mind you my husband is an ex football player..LOL...tough and all but don't mess with his little man!!!

:wave:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah....I would definitely go somewhere else. I hate when people make comments like that. I get them all the time too, and I just ignore those people. But coming from my vet, I wouldn't tolerate it. I'd feel like if she/he wouldn't give all the care my girls need. I just wouldn't feel safe bringing them there.
That one u say sees small animals sounds great, and I think it's a great idea you make an appointment to meet the vet before.
Mando

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah....I would definitely go somewhere else. I hate when people make comments like that. I get them all the time too, and I just ignore those people. But coming from my vet, I wouldn't tolerate it. I'd feel like if she/he wouldn't give all the care my girls need. I just wouldn't feel safe bringing them there.
That one u say sees small animals sounds great, and I think it's a great idea you make an appointment to meet the vet before.
Mando

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i would go elsewhere and i would pick up copies of my records and let it be known why i was leaving the vet to go to another one. how unprofessional!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great! thanks for all the opinions!
I hate when people make comments...everyone thinks its so funny, but im tired of it, and IF i hear someone say "yo quiero taco bell" one more time, i think i might smack them!

·
Registered
148 Posts
sonny's mama said:
I hate when people make comments...everyone thinks its so funny, but im tired of it, and IF i hear someone say "yo quiero taco bell" one more time, i think i might smack them!
Oh yeah...The "Yo quiero Taco Bell" thing...I'm sick of it too... :x

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Armando... said:
sonny's mama said:
i don't get that, i guess cause chiwi is long hair. but i do get people saying "oh man another ankle biter." i usually say no, i'm training her to go for the crotch :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my problem is that i know and i will change vets, its just going to be hard with my friend being a vet tech there...i know she'll be totally insulted...
but she's gives me grief about Sonny too...(she's a pit bull lover, which are wonderful dogs, but she loves them because of them image they hold and how they kind help hers)
Im just not thrilled with this vet and I just can't keep going there...
Its just going to be hard to part ways...

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You have to do what's best for you baby. Just say that you want a vet with more experience with small animals. That's the truth anyways. I definitely would not tolerate that coming from my vets mouth and it's very unprofessional for her to say that. Work up the courage to find another vet!! :D

Nate says:
In terms of "interviewing" the doctor, the first exam will have to do, because you will have usually have to pay for time with the doctor during normal business hours. Clients are charged a basic exam fee usually whenever the doctor is in the room. If you want to interview the doctor over the phone, you could call, leave a detailed message expressing your concerns about the other vet (with no names of course) and the vet will more than likely call you back and tell you what they can do to make you feel comfortable. Making sure the vet knows your concerns up front will make sure that they are extra careful to attend to your dogs when you finally do come in for your visit. Vets love it most when they know that the owners are concerned for their dogs health.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Yes, you should find another one ASAP. Everyone's babies are way to important to go to a vet that says things like that, and i most definitely wouldn't trust a vet like that with my chico. the vet i go to is very, very cool, along with the rest of the staff. whenever i bring chico there, the staff always says "aaaww, look at how cute he is" and things like that, which make me feel good. and i trust my vet because i have seen A LOT of chi's there, so i'm confident they know what they're doing. to be honest, i see more small dogs there than i do medium or large ones.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
YEAH what an idiot :evil: :x

my first vet said to me "why on earth would you pick a chihuahua" and wrote down that Kemo bit. I walked out shortly after and did not look back.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Armando... said:
sonny's mama said:
me three :x

1 - 20 of 30 Posts