Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a beautiful little girl (4months) with a lovely temperament, very friendly with everyone. I have fallen in love with the breed and would like to get another chi to keep her company while I am out at work. Do you think it's too soon to get another chi? And if not would it be better to get a girl or boy? (will be spaying and neutering) thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Coco's Mummy, welcome to the boards. I am fairly new myself.

I can tell you it is never to early to get another chi, they are too adorable to resist :) and you get all of the toilet training etc out of the way in one hit.

Your little one would get along with either a boy or a girl, it's really a matter of personal preference. I have 2 girls & 1 boy & they all have their own personalities & get along very well. I would love to add another & would probably get another boy to even out the numbers & also because it is cheaper to neuter them.

Hope I have been of some help.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I'd also get a boy :) "They" say that girl/boy combos get along better than girl/girl or boy/boy. Whether there's much validity to that or not, I don't know. All of mine get along fairly well other than the 2 boys do not like each other much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, as I a fairly new chi lover, I just have a couple of questions... I have found an advert for a gorgeous little blue/fawn boy, apple dome head and short muzzle etc but his eyes look quite wide-set with the White showing at the inner corners, is this normal? The breeder emailed me to say that he is 1pound at 7 weeks and has been hand reared because his mum was also tiny and unfortunately died while giving birth. Should I be wary? I want a happy, healthy chi :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I can tell you that it is not too soon. We got Hope at the end of November and Ruby the end of January.

We were going to wait until Hope was 1 until we got another. When we got Ruby at 14 weeks, Hope was 16.5 weeks. Hope had already been experiencing us, our house and how we did things so it made it easier that we only had one who then had to learn.

Both are potty pad trained (got that out of the way once as others have suggested) and they have so much fun together!! We both work outside the home during the day and it comforts us that they have each other to play and snuggle with while we are gone. Also when we must leave town and they cannot go with us, they can be boarded or cared for together.

For us, it was such a good idea, good timing and we could not stand to be without either!

·
Registered
270 Posts
i have 2 girls who are completly different but do get along most of the time, although the youngest one is still dirtying around the house, at least i think its her as lexi the older one only did it up until 3-5 months, so would wait as at least you will know which one has been naughty after their chewing and pooping faze has gone, good luck x

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Thanks guys, as I a fairly new chi lover, I just have a couple of questions... I have found an advert for a gorgeous little blue/fawn boy, apple dome head and short muzzle etc but his eyes look quite wide-set with the White showing at the inner corners, is this normal? The breeder emailed me to say that he is 1pound at 7 weeks and has been hand reared because his mum was also tiny and unfortunately died while giving birth. Should I be wary? I want a happy, healthy chi :)
I think a picture of the puppy would help us tell if the puppy is fine or having problems. A pound at 7 weeks is about normal weight for a puppy. If it was a lot less, then I would worry about hydrocephalus. It's so sad they decided to breed a tiny girl and she passed.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I love boys and have two myself and they get on with each other brilliantly, in fact where one is the other is never far behind.

I would love another and if it ever happened I'd likely get another boy and I agree they are such mumsies, both though mainly Red love to snuggle up to me and get loads of cuddles.

Deme x

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think a picture of the puppy would help us tell if the puppy is fine or having problems. A pound at 7 weeks is about normal weight for a puppy. If it was a lot less, then I would worry about hydrocephalus. It's so sad they decided to breed a tiny girl and she passed.
Here is the pic that got be a bit worried.... Just the eyes seemed very protruding? :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts