Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the benefits to neutering a male but are there benefits like that to getting a female spayed? She'll be going into heat soon and I wanted to avoid it but other than that I have no real reason to fix her up. I can keep her from breeding, so why? Will it help with her behavior at all or make it worse? Or.... what? Is the attitude and bleeding decent enough to deal with? What can I expect from her (in general) if I DO and if I DON'T spay her?

Thanks folks =)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well, spaying is the best way to decrease your pets chances of cancers (mammary, uteran, ovarian) as well as conditions like pyometra (I watched a spay of a dog with this, it's pretty bad) which is puss filling the uterus. By the second heat your dog's risk for these diseases has increased drastically!

For the health benefits alone I think that spaying is worth it if you aren't going to breed.

As far as behavior, I saw that Elliot became a little bit calmer after her spay. Not a terribly lot, but I did see a difference. Elliot was pretty crazy during her first and only heat (I wish I would have spayed her before that, just because of the health risks but I was unaware at the time) humping everything, the cat, her toys, and she actually had a surprising amount of blood for such a little dog. She was also peeing on EVERYTHING through that period. The breeders told me I shouldn't spay her because the procedure would be traumatic for her, but that wasn't the case at all.

Since then I have personally witnessed many spays and neuters working at a vet clinic. The spay only takes about 15 minutes, and after 24 hours your dog is looking perky and happy again. After a week, stitches can come out and your pup is back on the move.

In short, I would do it for the health reasons above anything else. I think behaviorally your dog would be just fine either way.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yes get her spayed.. As skywerley love said it reduces the risk.. You say you can keep her from mating again but thats not always relistic.. she won't be able to go for a walk for 3 weeks! Entire males can sniff out a bitch in heat for a long distance and there are stories of dogs howling outside your door and trying to get in (jumping fences all sorts) she will also wee constantly, and try to escape also!! Remember Chi's are tiny and get through tiny gaps you wouldn't even thought they can!!

I'm getting Daisy spayed before her season.. personally the thought of a big GSD trying to mate (and killing) my baby freaks the hell out of me..

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
If you aren't going to breed her, I would spay her. It will most likely help calm her down some. :) Many benefits.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Luna just had her second heat and she escaped and ran a block away. It was awful because a pit bull came out of nowhere and he really wanted her. I had to charge at him and try to scare him away. The thought of him mounting poor Luna was terrible. I also didn't know if he was dog friendly or would think she was a cat. She is pretty miserable and does urinate a lot. This is the only time she has accidents in the house. There are many health benefits as well. I look at it this way, if I could avoid "that time of the month" I surely would. Imagine what it must be like for a dog who doesn't know what is going on but has very storng instincts about what should happen. The drive to find a mate is maddening I'm sure. It really is a personal decision though. Talk with a trusted vet and see what they say.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Did a rescue let her be adopted without being spayed? Wow.

I agree that unless you are showing or are breeding a dog with an eye towards improving the breed then spaying is the way to go. Mammary cancer strikes a very high number of intact female dogs and the percent goes up as they get older. The more heat cycles girls go through the chance of mammary or uterine cancers goes up. Pyometra is a very real danger as well. It can sneak up on you and dogs can and do die from it. It's an infection of the uterus where the uterus fills with pus and can rupture. The surgery to spay a dog with a pyo is dangerous as well.

I can't really think of any real benefits to not spaying other than the fact that they won't be going under anesthesia. Today's anesthesia is so much better than years ago. Iso gas makes surgery much safer. Sugar is an adult so she's not getting much benefit from the hormones like she would have if she were much younger.

I have one border collie girl who is intact. She is 3 years old and is coming into her 3rd heat cycle. She does seem to feel pretty yucky during the cycle, just doesn't feel like herself. I've also noticed that her brain goes away during her cycle. I can try to work on obedience commands and she looks at me like she's never heard the words (this is a dog who has multiple obedience titles and is an extraordinary competition obedience dog). I don't take her on walks and we are confined to the backyard for play. I can't leave her out unattended because male dogs can jump fences or dig under (I have a 6 foot wooden privacy fence) and I am paranoid about one getting to her. It's also fairly messy and she wears little doggie panties to keep blood off the floor and bedding and such.

If she weren't actively showing and wasn't a great example of the breed I would spay her, no hesitation.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I almost lost my Zoey to pyometra with her very first cycle. I was able to get her to the vet on time to be able to save her. I remember a member on here saying her dog was not spayed and she slept with her and her bed looked like a murder scene with all the blood. My late Roxy was never spayed and I didn't want her on my lap or on my bed or on any good blankets during her cycle. I tried the diapers but she would just get them off. She was constanly licking herself trying to keep clean. It was very embarassing when we had people over.
Zoey had such a wonderful personality, very playful all the time, really wore me out and I was worried she would get lazy after her spay but she is still the most active/playful chi I have ever met. She never gained weight either, which I was hoping she would.
I would never have an unspayed female again unless I was going to show as breeding is out of the question for me. I leave that to the experts.
These are just my own experiences and I hope they help you in your decission.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Like Zoeys Mom, we almost lost Betty to a pyrometra. It's an infection in the lady bits. Spayed dogs do not get this, and with our kids being so small the risk is so great.

A normal spay is anywhere from 100-300 dollars, here, pyrometra surgeries (because they are emergency surgeries) START at 600. Our vet is lovely, and even though Betty had a lot of adhesions to her other organs only charged us just over 700. It should have been much more expensive.

If for nothing other than THAT reason, I urge everyone to spay (who does not have show quality dogs they are going to show/breed).

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know females can get all those diseases just from being females.. that's rotten... =\ I'm sorry for you folks who have lost or almost lost a pet to anything like that.

She's not a "rescue" she came from a breeder. I just call her one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts