Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! :daisy:

In July I'm getting a chihuahua puppy. I'm really excited! But, I don't know whether to get one or two. Of course, I'd love to get a hundred! But that's just not going to happen!

I'm at school 5 days a week from 9am till 3.20 and my mum is at work from 9 till 5. The dog/ s are going to be alone all that time on their own :( With the exception of me coming in at lunch sometimes and my grandad visiting. This is why I think 2 would be a good idea, so they'd be together. ( I'm getting a chi at the beginning of the summer holidays so I can introduce them into new life and train them)

But, on the other hand one would be cheaper. I live in Ireland and each one is like €350. And then you've got all the puppy vacs and neutering on top of that. Also, when I'm going into town or somewhere how can I bring two in a bag? And, training two pups at the same time sounds like a realy big task!

But, the big question is..... Is it unfair leaving ONE dog home alone? Like, I'd leave a water bowl, toys, a crate that it can go in and out of and classical music on. And when I come home from school I'd bring it to the beach to run around in. What do you think???

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
to be honest I would feel bad leaving one alone specially that long. That's why I got two together and the max they have been alone is 5hours and very rarely.

I am sure people have had one with no problem. Imo you should be able to take great care of one first and then add another one when you can afford to do so. That puppy will be your responsibly so think things trough (talk with your mom maybe) and make a smart decision.

Chis are so intelligent, they learn really fast. You will have all that time to teach him/her so many things. A very important thing is to learn to be alone.
Do you think you'll use pads? I don't know how people do it but I would buy a pen and set it up for the puppy instead of a crate, 8 hours alone he/she would need to go potty.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Have you considered getting a puppy and an older dog? Breeders will often rehome ex show dogs or breeding stock for the price of the spay or neuter. Then you wouldn't have as many expenses, and hopefully the older dog would help with training the puppy. Definitely worth asking your breeder, if they don't have anything available they may well know someone who does.
I agree that a single Chi left alone is not a good idea, they are a breed that thrives on company.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I have one Chi, Toby. He is almost 18 months old. I am a full time law student. I am gone 1 day a week 9-4 and 4 days a week 9-1 or 2. On Mondays, my long day, I either have a pet sitter come walk Toby for one hour in the middle of the day or he goes to my mom's house for the day. The other four days, he stays home alone, in the bathroom with his toys. He does well. But he also gets lots of exercise (at least one mile a day, much more on the weekend).

I wish he had a sister, and I want to get one soon. But I am glad I didn't get them at the same time. I liked having the bonding time with Toby, but when he was a pup I lived at home and someone was with him almost 24/7. If I had had the schedule I have now, I would have gotten two at the same time.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I agree with Ashley that I too am glad I have had this bonding time with Jaxx.
Jaxx is fine when he is left alone and seems to sleep the entire time.
I want to get another chi but I wouldn't trade the special time we have had with Jaxx

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts