Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

Billy has had diarrohea for 2 days now. I have made him a vets appt for the morning. The vets receptionist said I should starve him till then. He was fed at seven this morning.

My question is, Is it ok to starve him for that long, wont it make him hypoglycemic?

Poor fella is ok in himself.

Thanks in advance

xx

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Aww, poor thing! Personally, I'd cook him up some white rice & boiled chicken or hamburg & give him a little bit. That always help my lab who always used to eat crap out of the garbage... But I guess it depends on whats causing his diarrhea too.

At any rate - good luck & I hope he's feeling better soon!

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Black tea with a little bit of sugar is good for curing diahorrea in both animals and people! lol theres something you might not have known! ;) lol Good luck with the poor little man :) x

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Black tea with a little bit of sugar is good for curing diahorrea in both animals and people! lol theres something you might not have known! ;) lol Good luck with the poor little man :) x

Tea is poisonous to dogs - just google ~"is tea poisonous to dogs" and you will find many references, so don't give him tea!!.

I would give him just a little chicken and rice - small amounts.

Hope he gets better soon :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Awww poor Billy!
I wouldnt starve him either.
I thought i saw Tea on the dont list too, so i wouldnt go with that myself.
Anyway hope he feels better soon, bless him. xx

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
My dog just had this last week!!! I gave him rice and all it did was make him poo out rice it didn't firm it up. He didn't eat for 2 days and he was fine also recommended by my vet after the 2 days his poo went back to normal as his stomach had time to settle you may even be able to save yourself a trip to the vet by doing this. Make sure he is still drinking water.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Sounds like he's got what Daisy's had!!! There is some really nasty doggy bugs going around according to my vet. I didn't starve Daisy and wouldn't for that long but would only give him small amounts.. boil some chicken and rice.. he will love you for it they really really love it. Make sure he's got plently of water. I'd also check his stools i know its gross but check for blood as the vet will ask you about it.

Daisy heaved and threw up twice as well!!! She just got a shot of amoxycilin and 5 days worth of tablets.. she was also fine within herself and her poos were so much better after 2 days!!!

Lots of kisses for you and billy from us!! oh and Pixie and Vernon too!!!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Rocky had diahorrea recently and I starved him for nearly 24 hrs, he was fine but then he is a pretty sturdy 8 pounder! I fed him chicken/rice for a week and it did not help him at all. He also got a probiotic from the vet to take. Then I gradually gave him his dried food mixed with chicken (but smaller portions) until I got a firm poo. It took nearly 2 days for him to poo but thats after him being starved. Its no fun starving him but if it helps the diahorrea its worth it. I was with him all the time when he was starved and made sure he was drinking plenty water.
Hope Billy is better soon xx

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
its not poisonous ive given it to my dogs many of times obv not bowls full thought just a tad!

Tea is poisonous and sugar isnt good for them either. When someone says something is dangerous or poisonous to dogs that doesnt always mean that it will kill them quickly like rat poison or antifreeze. Most of the time it shuts down organs over a long period of time.

As for starving Billy. I would find out from my vet whether or not there is a reason they said to starve him, there may be a test they are going to run that requires his system to be empty. So find out before you feed him rice or such ;-) If it is just because he is having loose bowels then rice and broth would be fine.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I make up babyfood lamb and rice(I mix with pedialyte and warm water)...definitely have pedialyte on hand plus NutriCal...Pedialyte helps to settle tummies and add electrolytes that are being loss due to the diarrhea and NutriCal helps with calories/hypoglycemia

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone. The vets said to starve him just to try and settle his little tummy. But i juat gave him a little chicken, just so he has something inside of him.

Hie last poo was slightly firmer so hopefully it will sort itself out. I'll take him vets in the morning tho, just for a once over x

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
It is best to get him checked since you have a baby as well as a puppy in the house. I am with you there. It is so hard to starve him, especially if everyone else is there and gets to eat. Poor Billy. Hope all goes well at the vet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
feeding

My vet always recommends boiled rice and a bit of low fat chicken for diarrhea.
Every vet I've been to recommended that as a first step to give the insides a time to get better.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*update*

Took him this morning as he had blood in his poo last night and this morning.

The vet said to starve him for 24 hours and she gave him an injection to settle whatever has irritated his tummy and he also has to have this paste squeezed into his mouth 3 times a day for 3 days.

She didnt really seem to know what was wrong with him and said his tummy felt all soft and normal.

Hopefully he will be right as rain in no time x

·
Registered
201 Posts
Tea is dangerous to dogs! Tea has caffine, just like coffee. Black tea actually has more caffine than coffee. That's why doctors don't recommend pregnant women drink tea or coffee. Please don't give your dog tea! That's horrible advice. I have to agree with others, boil chicken would work just fine.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My advice is obviously too late for you as you have been to the vets. Here is the advice I would have given though. Starve him for a day - but he can have fresh water - obviously if he is small one and could go hypo then you can't starve him for 24 hours. If that was the case I would say plain/bland food such as rice, chicken or fish. If he is or a decent size then starve him then after 24 hours move him onto the rice, chicken or fish diet and once he seems OK move him gradually to his normal diet - don't give him any meat though that is too rich for them when he has an upset tummy.

Natural goats yoghurt is good for them too.

Sugar is no good as that will give him the runs as well - try hype stop which is a dextrose solution at a push natural honey is OK.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Hypostop has been renamed Glucogel for the past 3 years or so - it is available in all chemists in UK and Ireland, it's a dextro (glucose) gel which comes in little tubes. It's primary use is the prevention of Hypoglycaemia for people with diabetes.
Of course it also works on animals :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts