Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok
so most of you have read about my little Romeo starting to dribble and leaving pools of water about when ever he was laying down.

I took him to the vets and after test was told he has raised Bile acids (4 times the max).

The vet said that the tests show he either has a liver shunt or got at something toxic.

I spoke to the vet this morning and she said we could either check him into doggy hospital to do more invasive tests
OR
wait and re-do the Bile acid test next week

He is looking a lot better after the 4 day weekend and has stopped dribbling.

I've said I'll wait and redo the test unless he goes down hill again.

But i'm now worried that I'm going to make his worse by waiting.

:confused: Help :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Aww! Poor baby!
I honestly can't help you make a decision because I am not familiar with the symptoms your baby is having
One thing I do know is that sometimes vets just try to earn money and rip you off.
I was (and still am) very concerned with one of my chis having hydrocephalus because his head is a bit big
But everyone tells me I am paranoid and on the forum everyone said he looks healthy

The vet wanted to do blood tests, liver tests, and xray with anesthesia which not only is invasive but also costs about £1000 in total

So I decided to wait and see how he develops although everyday I hope and pray I have not made the wrong decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,686 Posts
Since he has shown such an improvement, personally, I would wait. Smoke's liver enzymes were elevated the first time I took him in, but the re-test was normal. If, at any time you see him start going down hill, then take him in, but it sounds like he may have gotten into something and it's working it's way through his system. Best of luck on your little man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
There have been several people here who had pups with liver issues, it can be rough. I'd run to the vet if there were other symptoms. Can you have a chat with the vet and come up with a plan ?? Or get another opinion ??
hope all is still well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Romi had his first test this afternon and were going back for the second in an hour. Should get the test results back tomorrow night.
Hopefully all will be fine.
Fingers crossed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,115 Posts
Poor sweetie, I hope all turns out fine. My Quigley's has liver issues. We have him on a low protein diet we get from the vet for his kidney issues. He is doing very well. I also give him the "Missing Link" supplement. they have a no protein version for pups with issues.

He is also incontinent and basically lives on a towel. We have leather furniture that cleans easily and I have covered them with fleece that I can throw in the washer and do frequently. When I take him to friends homes I have a belly band that I specially designed to fit him because I could not find one small enough for him. His issues started with what we thought was a bladder infection. The infection was connected but did not cause the issues. It's a very long drawn out story that I am sure is 99.9 % not your babies issues so please don't worry!! As the Dr's at UGA said. He is a conundrum. They had never seen his issues before. He had a walnut sized growth on his prostate. They had never seen a puppy have prostate issues like he had. It caused a lot of urinary tract health issues. I can tell you, I would rather have him dribbling then not at all. We have all learned how to live around his issues and love him all the more for them.

There is a lot of information out there for liver issues as well as incontenence. For the most part, incontenenece is very treatable in most cases. With Quigley, they believe that the growth on the prostate caused testosterone issues. The issues were at a critical time in his development and threw his system off to a point where he will just be this way. We have really tried everything we know to try. I keep him clean with baby wipes and regular baths. Thank heavens he is 2.5 lbs not 105 lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Romi got bad test results :(

Vet phones me just before 9pm tonight to let me know that She had got Romi's test back and they were not got.
His bile acids were higher than last time so she thinks he does have a shunt.
He's booked in for an ultrasound next week to try to find it.
Feeling very worried and sad here.
:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,686 Posts
Aww honey, I'm sorry. I hope the ultrasound shows it's not too bad and things could be managed by diet changes alone. Best of luck for you and poor Romi. *hugs*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Oh you poor thing. I hope that the tests are conclusive for you & even if it is a liver shunt that you are able to manage it easily & get Romi back to his happy self. (((HUGS)))
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top