Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we got our 8 week old chi this weekend and we are trying to get him into a good sleeping routine at night. Should we shut his crate door once he is in sleeping or leave it for him to get out and have a wee when he needs to ?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I would put the pad inside the crate with water.He's too young to be left outside the crate,puppies can chew things.Much safer

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I would close the door. Depending on the size of the crate, I don't know if I would put a pee pad in it. You don't want him to get used to going in his crate! If you are okay with getting up through the night, I would do that!

When we first got Angel I got up through the night with him. I had to wake him up!! When I took him for his first vet visit, he told me not to wake him if he is sleeping. So, I didn't! I'm mixed feelings on this topic, but he is 2 years old now and seems to be doing fine.

The play pen is probably the best way to go. You get the best of both worlds!;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Depends on how big the crate is - I would have the pee pads in the crate. How long are you going to use a crate for? I use a baby cot for sleeping - so safe and plenty of room.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
When crate training Odie, we closed the door. This meant that we had to get up during the night to let her out to pee though. The reason I wanted to shut the door was because I wanted her to be comfortable with the door closed and not get anxious when she had to have it closed at the vet's, etc.

However, after we felt that she was crate trained, we used a playpen and put her crate in there, so her pee pad was far away from her sleeping quarters. Now even though she sleeps with us and her crate is rarely ever used, if it's out and she's scared, she'll dart right in there and doesn't mind the door being closed.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
We closed the crate door with Jaxx when he was young.

If you are going to get up in the middle of the night to let him outside do not talk or play with him at all. This helps him not get excited and think it is play time. The only thing that we said to Jaxx when we were doing this was "Go potty, good boy, and bedtime otherwise we just ignored all of his actions of wanting to play. He will whine for a few times because he is trying to get attention but in the end if you do not give attention he will figure out it is quiet time when he goes to his crate.

Jaxx grew to love his crate and although we don't use it anymore if he is scared he runs to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts