Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've enrolled my chihuahua mix, who is my service dog, in a novice level competitive obedience class. She of course got injured after I enrolled, so her participation is depending on that, but she will still do it once she's recovered even if she can't right away.

Anyway. I am interested in getting some tips for showing. I also really want to make a crate cover with coordinating bed for her, do any of you have these for your show dogs?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Just make sure that the class is a positive run one. Sometimes the competition gets a little heated, and handlers start back with the correction based training.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not believe in force free training, this trainer is a balanced trainer whose methods I agree with. I'd never let ANYONE do anything bad to my little ones and should I decide I disagree with the methods I will leave.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
What kind of tips are you looking for? Read the rule book for your sport so you know the exact criteria being judged. Keep a training journal and go to a trial or two without your dog to see what happens, watch the judging and speak to people who handle dogs you admire. I always take a crate but I don't have matching covers etc. I do know there are plenty of people who make them. I would also say, keep it fun so your dog chooses to stay in the game. I'll look forward to hearing how you progress.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More of how to handle the show world- tips and tricks for traveling comfortably, how you manage your dogs on show grounds, etc. :)

I think Kaira is going to LOVE this. She is a thinker, and prefers to puzzle out things herself. She enjoys doing things that work her little brain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts