Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a gorgeous AKA little girl that is for sale, but she's 7 months and under 3 pounds. Is this too small to show?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
No she's still within breed standard and therefore you could still show her - but whether she will be sound enough or good bite is another question. Obviously I wouldn't breed from such a small one - if you are likely to want to breed in the future I would say no.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thank you. Still in the looking phase. Not sure I want to breed, but to have a finished chi would be interesting and, who knows, I may like showing.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
A lot of people wouldn't buy a small one as some judges will knock a bitch if they are not big enough to breed from - my argument with that is that it doesn't say in the breed standard that they have to be bred from.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a picture of her. I would love your opinion of her. I know it's not the best picture, but it's all I have right now. And she's going through her puppy uglies.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
She looks quite nice - what's her mouth like? She probably will fill out at bit as she gets older. I have a boy who looks very small but weighs 5lb 3oz - to look at him you would think he would be pushing 4lb

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I haven't contacted the breeder yet, I wanted to ask here if she could be shown first. I will contact her now and ask a million questions. lol

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
As said above ive seen bitches be dismissed due to being too small. Shes lovely but her face isn't very clear from that photo. Get in touch and ask for some nicer photos, its worth a try :) is she far away?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As said above ive seen bitches be dismissed due to being too small. Shes lovely but her face isn't very clear from that photo. Get in touch and ask for some nicer photos, its worth a try :) is she far away?
I sent an email, just waiting for a reply. Both her parents are from championship lines, but doesn't look like they were shown themselves. She's about 2 1/2 hours away, not too far.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
if you can't go and view before you buy ask for photo's of her stacked from the side profile and a side profile head shot. Movement on video would be helpful too.

Occasionally you will get a good show dog from a pet breeder but if they are show breeders who own her - they won't sell you their best. They will keep the best for themselves therefore its better to try and breed one yourself from a soundly constructed bitch.

Good luck with your search - I'm sure you will find something out there.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I sent an email, just waiting for a reply. Both her parents are from championship lines, but doesn't look like they were shown themselves. She's about 2 1/2 hours away, not too far.
Well 2 1/2 hours isn't far if you like her. I went 4 hours to get Chico. If you think she's worth a visit then i'd go for it! At the end of the day if she's not right then it was just a day trip

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
She's cute --- one thing that pops into my head immediately though is that judges often do NOT like the dilute colors...she looks chocolate from the photos. That would be enough to keep me moving. I'd say depending on how successful you want to be with a show dog, go for a male, and go for a solid color, and nothing darker than fawn. Judges love whites as they "pop" in the ring. Black tris, blacks, and dilutes, can mix in with the "matting" and lose a judge's interest whether they should or not!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Forgot to say, small gets looked over in bitches...unless there's nothing else. Preferably you want 4.5-5 lb bitch to show whether you want to breed her or not. I have one tiny show girl and there have be a few times she absolutely should have won, and they didn't even know she was there...too small!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
where we have the advantage on that in the UK is that we don't have to stand in ring number order, we can stand where we like therefore you wouldn't stand next to a big one, you would look around and stand next to a smaller one so yours doesn't look so small

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all so much for the information. I'm still waiting for the breeder to get back to me. I know Pepper and Smoke grew about a pound and change after they were 7 months, so she may end up in the low 4 pound range. I want to ask her what size these two mom and dad usually have, do they end to stay small. I know each pup is different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts