Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, im new to the forum and have a few questions i would like to ask....

i recently bought a KC Registered chi Pup, who has all the papers, and is very stunning so i believe i could show him when he is older, however it has now come to my attention that he has a slight over laying jaw :( (not sure what its called?) anyway, i was wondering what the rules were on this subject? i know now that i may not be able to show him because of this.

Also, i have heard rumours that some jaws can correct themselves if they are only slight? his teeth are all coming through perfectly fine, and i am keeping a close eye on him.

whatever happens, he will still be my little star :) he wasn't bought just for show, but with him being a little stunner, i thought it would have been good for him.

Thanks for reading :) x

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Jaws can correct themselves but its rare - usually when the dog has a fault, then they have a fault and theres nothing that can be done about it. If you go onto the Kennel Club website it gives you the standards the dog needs to meet... and the standards are strict!

The best thing you can do really to get him assessed for show is to get in contact with some people who have successfully shown chihuahuas at open and championship level for years and get them to let you know if he is up to show standard.

But in all honesty, if hes got an overshot or undershot jaw, hes not going to do any winning at open or champ level, you'd be wasting your money entering him - However there is nothing at all stopping you taking him to companion and fun shows, theres no reason he couldnt win at those! Just enjoy him as a pet.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
How old was your pup when the bite went off? I believe the UK standard calls for a scissors bite (here in the USA we can have scissors or level), some bites do correct, my guy's bite went off at 5 months to a pretty bad undershot and I was pretty sure I would be unable to show him despite having bought him for that, but at 9 months it started moving back and by 10 months was a slight scissors bite. No one thought it would correct but it did. So it's not hopeless but you never know :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey..Thanks For Your Replies :)
It's A Shame, As He Is Gorgeous, And Does Me Very Proud...He Is My Lil Baby, And I Would Have Liked To Of Shared Him With People And Shown His Potential, I Will Look Up Other Shows & Mini Comps :)

His Over-Shot Jaw Was Noticed When He Was 2 Weeks Old. It May Correct Itself, As It Is Only Minor, Either Way I Still Love Him Just The Same And He Will Always Be My Little Star :) xxx

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You can't tell a bite on a pup 2 weeks old, bites are off so that they can nurse, they HAVE to be...

Are you sure the jaw is overshot (top jaw longer than the bottom jaw)? Overshot may correct if it's very slight, but undershot at that age generally means you are SOL (bottom jaw longer than the top jaw).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what the breeder told me....
however, i went to the vets, and they confirmed it to be a over shot. x

·
Banned
51 Posts
There's nothing to stop you showing him any dog with papers can be shown.

Remember bites aren't the only thing he must conform to standard. His bite looks quite bad in pictures I can't see his bottom
Jaw at all so I wouldn't think it would correct, I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It's impossible to tell if a puppy has a bad mouth at 2 weeks that's just ridiculous. An experienced breeder can tell if a mouth looks off from about 8 weeks but it can change sooooo much.

Mouths can correct themselves and I've seen both under shot and overshot correct themselves - time will tell!

How old is he now?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts