Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Well, if I remember correctly you have been trying to socialize him. Has he been around other people/pets much?

I would start out very gradually - maybe introduce him to one or two new people at a time and let him get to know them. Try to start with someone you know loves animals, and knows how to approach them. Since Cooper seems to be very shy, he needs a very low key approach. They should approach him quietly and slowly so as not to frighten him. I would keep the visit short, gradually allowing longer contact, and adding different people. Let Cooper's behavior be your guide. Trying to force things is only going to make matters worse.

I'm not an expert or a trainer - I just know what worked for me with my rescue chi, Tia. She had been abused, and was terrified of people. I had to first win her love and trust myself, then very gradually introduce her to other people/pets. It took some time, but it did work. You have a head start in that Cooper has not been abused and has been in a loving environment. As usual, patience is the key.

I have known a couple of chis that were nervous and afraid, and never learned to socialize well. I doubt that is the case with Cooper, but if it should be, just love him and let him be himself.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Take him out around people as often as you can, to the park, for a walk, to the bank, where ever he might be allowed to go. The more times he encounters strangers the more he will get used to the whole idea. Marcus has gone to work with me everyday since I got him and now he's convinced his job is official greeter.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys! He not overly shy, hes pretty good actually. But I am trying to get him to the point where hes not shy at all, hopefully he will reach that way with age?

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I think that some dogs, like some people, are just born shy. It's part of their genetic makeup. You might not be able to rid Cooper of all his shyness but you can give him the confidence to be able to handle new situations.

My Lily is shy - I think by nature but also because of her early experiences. She's come a very long way since I got her. For her, the key is allowing her the time to get used to people and new surroundings.

The first time I took her home to my parents she shook the entire time, hid her face in my neck, she was just an emotional mess. Now she acts like their home is her home and she's fine with them. Same with her daycare. I still remember the day they told me she finally held her tail up. She'd been there a good 3 months and she always had her tailed tucked under her. The day that tail went up was a huge breakthrough for her. Now she's the princess of daycare. :lol:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
When we first got Zeus, I waited until he was 3 months old, then took him everywhere with me and let people touch him. He was already exposed to animals at my house since I have a couple cats, ferret, and another dog at the time.

Rachael - This might need a new thread, but as I've said, Lily is one of my favorite Chi's on the board and I may have missed it, but could you tell the story of when you got her? I really admire everything you do for her and it's obvious she's so grateful for it too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts