Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Female Chi is 32 days pregnant. Yesterday morning when I checked on her she had had a very runny and mucousy BM but she was fine all day yesterday and last night. This morning, again, another loose BM, but she is not fine. She is having loose BM's, not urinating, not vomiting, no fever, not eating or drinking. She seems to be stiff in her hind end region, she can't scratch behind her ears, or stand for very long. It's almost like her hind legs are just very weak. She will stand for a few seconds and then kind of flops down. She does not sit or lay normally. When she lays down she usually lays on her belly, now she is favoring her left side.
We took her to the Vet this morning and he did a physical exam and couldn't really find anything wrong with her except maybe some indigestion. He said to give her Pepto Bismol every 4-6 hours. When he was palpating her abdomen he said her bladder was full. So we take her home, take her outside to urinate, and nothing, we took her to the Vet at 9:30 this morning, it is now 1:30 PM and still she has not urinated.

I am scared, what should I do?????? Has anyone else ever experienced this???? Should I take her back to the Vet today or wait it out and see if the Pepto helps??????

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank You in Advance! :cry:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
No offense to your vet, but with those symptoms, he/she should have at least kept her for a few hours for observation *especially* because she is pregnant. Being weak,not being able to stand very long, and not eating/drinking imo is something more serious and I don't think Pepto is going to fix it.

Also,
She seems to be stiff in her hind end region
It may not be anything serious, but I had a small dog that started with this problem and wound up having a ruptured disc in his back. I'm not saying that is what is wrong with her, but only an x-ray can determine that. If she does have a back injury, the key to recovery is a quick diagnosis before any more damage can occur.

Is there another vet you can see for a 2nd opinion?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think also think it is something more serious, I am going to call another Vet. The things that worry me most are the having a full bladder for the last 5 hours and not urinating. I have been taking her out about every 30 minutes and she will stand there for a few seconds and then flop down. :cry: I have to literally pick her up and set her down in the yard, she won't walk to the door to go out. And her hind region, it almost seems like she is off balance. :( The Vet checked her spine and her reflexes and said they were ok. :scratch: I am going to get a second opinion. Thanks for the responses.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
You need to take her immediately to a emergency vet - she is in urinary retention and if a catheter isnt passed she will go into renal failure - i am sorry to be blunt but Im a renal nurse and Im sure the kidneys and waterworks are the same for dogs - if she cant pee she needs help uimmediately before her kidneys shut down and she gfoes septic as she is not been able to flush the toxins out of her system , also if she is refusing to eat and drink she needs to be started on an IV- good luck , wlecome and please keep us posted :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
AW geez another idiot vet! What the heck is going on :x ? Nothing but well and healing vibes coming your way. KEEP us posted

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I'm sorry you had a run in with an idiot vet too! I hope you were able to get some help for your girl. Let us know!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Poor Muffin. Please let us know what the new vet says. I can't believe all these idiot vets coming out of the wood work lately. I am glad that I have a good vet that I can trust.

Leslie

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, please take your sweet girl to the vet and let us know what he/she finds. Your mom-to-be is in our prayers. {{HUGS}}

1 - 15 of 15 Posts