Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I've had limited experience with seizures but I'm appalled at your vet's response. :shock: Please insist that your vet or preferably another one see your dog as soon as possible, at least to do blood work. It is absolutely not true that the meds are more harmful than the seizures themselves. Why on earth would people put their dogs on anti-seizure medication if that were true??? :? Either he misunderstood you or you misunderstood him or he's an idiot. Just my opinion.

My Lily had an extremely mild seizure last October, her first in the 2+ years that I'd had her. I took her to the emergency vet (because it happened on a weekend) where they examined her, did blood work and told me there was, in fact, nothing that could be done AT THAT TIME. The blood work turned up nothing unusual, but at least I knew that.

I was told to keep a diary to document any further seizures (time of day, duration, description of her symptoms and reactions, etc.); if a pattern were to emerge, then they could determine if medication would be required. She has had two more seizures since, each about 3 months apart. I had blood work done again after the 2nd seizure, even though I knew it was probably a waste of time and money (but I'm as overly protective of Lily as any owner could be :lol: ). Still no meds are indicated after three seizures in total.

It's very possible - and it certainly seems likely - that the fight with the poodle did more severe damage than you imagined. I'd want her looked at regardless of what that vet is telling you. That's just me... but you seem like such a responsible and loving owner, I would be surprised if you didn't agree. There are several (maybe numerous?) causes for seizures and you need to rule out as many as possible going forward.

One thing my regular vet told me and this gave me enormous relief... I asked if Lily could still live a long and healthy life with epilepsy and she said, "Not only that, but she could live a long and healthy life without even needing medication."

I know other members here will check in and offer their advice and I hope you'll stick around awhile. This is a great forum, full of practical advice and moral support. Please keep us posted.

One other thing... I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I know how terrifiying it is to see something like that happen to your baby. I think you handled it very well.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Ms_P said:
Since you said your pup is over weight, I'd be more inclined to think diabetes or thyroid.

But hopefully it's not either. I would definatly find another vet and get her checked out extensivly.
The puppy WAS overweight but apparently that is now under control: "Her weight is perfect even though she acts like she is starving." I just didn't like that vet having such a cavalier attitude about such a horrible situation. I don't get it at all. :?

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
JOLIE'SMOM said:
I just had another thought here....the spat your 2 dogs had..i believe the poodle could sense the impending seizure and this is what prompted the spat. Dogs will attack when one of them is acting out of the ordinary. For example if one of mine squawks because she got her foot stepped on, (for example) one of the others will jump on her growling aggressively.
I think you're on to something there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.