Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
i didn't know epilepsy was so common in chi's. my latissima died of a very bad siesure when she was 6. she had epilepsy from the age of about 2, she'd usually have a fit when it was hot or she was on heat/season. it was always horrible to watch as you want to help but have to just let it pass. her fits were just as the rest of you have described she'd shake, froth at the mouth, curl backwards with her head close to her back and then be very disorientated afterwards. she had to be on medication as even if my mother forgot to give her 1 dose she'd have a fit that evening. i think now that the vet may have been too hasty to put her on medication and that she became dependant on it. the last time she had a fit it kept re-occuring so we had to take her to the vet, we thought it would be fine and he'd just give her a stronger dose. then the vet sedated her with a type of valium tablet and that was it she never came round again. as soon as the valium would begin to ware off she'd fit and he'd give her more. he told us it was too late and she wouldnt even recognise us. we went in to see her and she wagged her tail and tried to get up. it was so awful, my mum went mad and insisted we take her away. but she kept getting worse and worse. it is the most horrible thing i think has ever happened to us. we had to take her back in the end to put her down as she was suffering so much. if your dog starts to fit more often make sure you take her to a vet experienced in small animals. also the blood must be always monitored if she gets put on medication to see how much is in the blood (this was never done for latissime). so many vets give too much to small dogs they need only how much a kitten would need of a medicine. we think what killed lattie was a dose that was too strong of vallium. good luck i wish you all the best. latissima is my beautiful little black chi in my siggy. we still think about her all the time

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.