Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Chico has had seizures 3 times. The first time was due to a very careless breeder, hook worms, low potasium and low blood sugar. You should probably ask your vet to check your babies potasium and blood sugar levels to make sure that they are not too low. The second time, was one day I had just come home from work and I didn't immediatly pick him up like I usually do. When I finally sat down to pet him one of his front legs twisted and he slowly lowered down to the floor and wouldn't respond. I freaked out. I held him and stroked him and talked to him and he was fine in a few seconds. I then called my vet. The vet said that it is not uncommon for small dogs to have an occasional seizure and as long as they only happen occasionally and don't last more than a few seconds there should not be any lasting effects. The important thing to remember is to pet them and talk to them while it is happening and immediatly after. Dogs will sometimes think that they have done something wrong because they don't know what is happening to them and they will try to hide. You don't want them to hide because you need to watch and make sure that they don't have another seizure following the first one. So alwas make sure that you let them know that they haven't done anything wrong.
The third seizure happened when I was holding him and it was once again after I had come home from work and didn't immediatly pick him up. I think he gets over excited and sometimes it brings them on. He hasn't had one in over a year though.

I hope this helps.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.