Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A brief background: My Chi is a female, 3-1/2 yrs. Old; she has had 1 litter 15 months ago; she loves to eat way too much so I had her on a diet using Iams Overweight Dog Food for the last 6 months. To keep her weight down, I give her 1/8 cup in the morning and I let her steal a few bites of Iams Small Bites when I feed the others. Her weight is perfect even though she acts like she is starving. She has more energy, bounces & plays more and seems happier. The only set back is that she is constantly shedding--her coat is still thick and shines.

Last night out of the blue, my passive poodle and she got into a spat. I have no idea what over since they were both laying quietly on the couch. They began to fight which I stopped immediately, taking the poodle out of the room. She went back to lay on her pillow quite upset. Within 5 minutes, she went into a breathing fit--heavy vocal breathing; then her body began to shake uncontrollably; her muscles tightenened up, her eyes went blank, her tongue hanged out of her clinched jaw--my husband pried open her jaw just enough to put his finger in to prevent her from biting off her tongue; mucus began to pour out of her mouth; her head continuing now to jerk over her back facing her tail. We immediately called to the vet for help, the vet's reply was that there is nothing she can do, it was an epilepsy attack and meds for same is more harmful than the attacks themself.

Not liking that answer, but it may have been true, I grabbed my Tomlyn's Nutri-Stat (simular to Tomlyn's Nutri-Cal) and rubbed it on her teeth and gums since she could not open her jaw and I also didn't want it to choke her. After 10 minutes, she began to calm down. I gave more on her tongue since her jaw began to relax. Soon she began licking the stuff. Now I do not know if this helped her one bit since I was panicking, willing to try anything to help her in her time of need. After 30 minutes, she seemed disorented, nervously fast-pace walking around the room trying to get out where there was no way to ignoring the dogie door and gate where she normally exits. After 1 hour, her eyes looked as though she was home now and she was back to her old self, eyes were alert and she seemed fine. However, immediately after the attack and after her odd behavior that followed (mentioned above), she clung on to me, insisting to lay in my arms the whole evening--she normally prefers to sit on her pillow on the couch instead.

Has anyone experienced this with their Chi? Was this a hypoglycemic attack? Or is it the beginning of Epilepsy? Any advise or suggestions from anyone who knows about this and experienced this with thier Chi? Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE WONDERFUL ADVISE & ENCOURAGEMENT!!

I just had to say to all those who have replied, that I really appreciate all your advice and encouragement. It is nice to know that there are wonderful people out there willing to take the time to help others in need.

Thank you again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.