Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Derrick and I went to a new ice cream stand last nite and of course brought Bella. She was the hit of the night, everyone coming over to say high, she even got her own little cup of doggie ice cream with a little bone in it.

One lady was saying she bought her two chi's a little south of here, that when she got there she thought it was a puppy mill, but got them anyway.

Another lady came up to me and asked if Bella was a teacup. I looked her in the eye and said there was no such thing, a chi is a chi is a chi, some are smaller than others.

She insisted hers was a teacup, so I AGAIN explained and told her breeders use that as an excuse to charge outragous sums..and asked her how much she paid... she rolled her eyes and walked away.

I swear, I wanted to go after her and shover her ice cream cone up her nose!! Hubby wouldn't let me though.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Good for you sticking to your guns, its getting to the stage with me that i want to rip their hair out when they poo poo me that there isnt any such thing as teacups :lol:

·
Registered
663 Posts
When I brought Josie back to my fiance's mom's house (I got her from a breeder near where she lives, about 3 hours from home) she went crazy over her. Then came the "Is she a teacup?" question. My fiance, who is well-versed on Chis (for my sake!) said, "Mom, there's no such things as teacups." "Well, toys, then. Is she a toy Chihuahua?" "Mom, of course she's a toy. She's in the toy breed family!" "A miniature, I mean! Is she a miniature Chihuahua?" After trying our best to explain, we eventually just said she's a smooth coat Chi and we don't know how much she'll weigh as an adult. I was getting quite irritated but was afraid to let loose...after all, I want to stay on good terms with the soon-to-be in-laws...:p

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sullysmum said:
Good for you sticking to your guns, its getting to the stage with me that i want to rip their hair out when they poo poo me that there isnt any such thing as teacups :lol:
maybe no hair and an ice cream cone shoved up their nose would finally convince them we know what they are talking about?? :wave:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xx-nathalie-xx said:
hehe .....what an idiot :roll: ....too bad hubby was with you :wink:

kisses nat

i know, he knows better than to get involved though!

He turned to the couple we were talking to and told them that no one should get into an arguement with me about it. That I know quite about about chi's as I knew this would be one of my last dogs and wanted to make sure that it was what I wanted

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
amykate said:
When I brought Josie back to my fiance's mom's house (I got her from a breeder near where she lives, about 3 hours from home) she went crazy over her. Then came the "Is she a teacup?" question. My fiance, who is well-versed on Chis (for my sake!) said, "Mom, there's no such things as teacups." "Well, toys, then. Is she a toy Chihuahua?" "Mom, of course she's a toy. She's in the toy breed family!" "A miniature, I mean! Is she a miniature Chihuahua?" After trying our best to explain, we eventually just said she's a smooth coat Chi and we don't know how much she'll weigh as an adult. I was getting quite irritated but was afraid to let loose...after all, I want to stay on good terms with the soon-to-be in-laws...:p
i understand completely how you feel

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I don't understand people who let someone else educate them and at least listen to what they have to say. My grandma is the same way. I have told her a million times if I've told her once that there are no such things as teacups but does she listen? No of course not! And I told her that our Scottish Terrier was not a Toy Terrier...I mean, that's not what breed he was, that was the family he was in. All small dogs are toy dogs. Simple as that. She just keeps insisting that he was Toy Terrier not a Scottish Terrier and I almost smacked her!!

My bf has to hold me back sometimes and make me walk away from people who claim to have a teacup at home or who don't believe me that there's no such thing.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I was looking at a breeder's website today (I window shop for chi puppies now) and I came across this woman's site where she was advertising her chis as "Our specialty sizes are Tea-cups, Toy-Teacups and Toys." That irritated me but the next paragraph told how they "specialize" in rare colors like blue, brindle ... then they said they have all kinds of colors available.

I almost felt like they were trying to sell me a car or an ipod, not a dog. I became so frustrated with that, I almost let the teacup thing slide.

Her website had tons of typos too. Typos really get me steamed. <spellcheck>

·
Registered
663 Posts
Cooper said:
Her website had tons of typos too. Typos really get me steamed. <spellcheck>
Haha...I think grammatical errors are one of my biggest pet peeves. I mean, I can understand a little slip-up every now and again, but constantly doing them?! Grrr! I think the "'s" ones are the ones that get to me the most. Like when people put an apostrophe over a word that ends in 'S' eventhough there's no need for it. Like "I love Chihuahua puppie's!" LOL...I'm ranting now! :lol:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i get really steamed with the whole teacup thing.

funny story: when Chico was about 7 months old (and already about 7 pounds) i had him with me at my friend's house. My friend's cousin, who has a female chi, was there. She kept commenting on how cute Chico was and she told me she wanted to breed her female, but couldn't find an owner of a male who would stud unless her chi was registered. I told her Chico wasn't registered, but it didn't matter to me. She then proceeded to tell me that her female is a "teacup" and she would love it if i would stud Chico with her female. Rather than try and educate her on how breeding works and that there's no such thing as teacups, i thought i'd have a little fun with her (hehehe, i'm so bad :lol: )

i said "A teacup huh? well, how much does she weigh?" she told me that full grown, she'll be about 5 pounds. I said "5 pounds? wow, that doesn't sound like much of a 'teacup' to me...i think you got duped. regular chihuahua's are usually 5-6 pounds full grown" then this lady continued to try and convince me that her chi was, in fact, a teacup...and she kept trying to convince me to breed her with Chico.

After going back and forth with her for about 5-10 minutes, I gave up and decided to educate her. I told her that there's no such thing as "teacups." there's only one type, a toy chihuahua and they're either long coat or smooth coat. and i told her i'm not studding Chico anyways...and even if i did, it wouldn't be with a 5 pound chi because he's more than 5 pounds. before this lady and i finished our discussion, i told her that she should seriously re-consider breeding her girl, because if she doesn't comprehend the fact that there's no such thing as "teacups" then she has no business breeding chihuahua's. :D

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Chico's Mama said:
before this lady and i finished our discussion, i told her that she should seriously re-consider breeding her girl, because if she doesn't comprehend the fact that there's no such thing as "teacups" then she has no business breeding chihuahua's. :D
Amen!! Maybe she'd have better luck breeding teacup labradors. :idea1:

·
Registered
683 Posts
So many ppl r so silly :lol: - when i was looking for coco i was seeing tiny chihuahua and tea cup and all sorts of things to try and sell the dogs - i looked up a website to see what they said and it said there was no such thing! Some ppl r just plain daft to take someone's word for it - your obliged to listen, not to believe!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts